Get the ECT News Network Weekly Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Ideoclick eBook
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Time May Be Right for Government Agencies to Adopt Linux

Re: Time May Be Right for Government Agencies to Adopt Linux
Posted by: Anonymous 2006-04-15 00:49:05
See Full Story

Now may finally be the right time to consider migrating to a Linux-based industry standard computing platform, due to the scalability, security and reliability offered by a combined partnership of industry leaders known for delivering trusted solutions. When it comes to selecting a technology platform for any federal agency, the choice these days boils down to these options: a proprietary solution such as Windows; any of the vendorled Unix variants; or a Linux-based open source option.

Re: Time May Be Right for Government Agencies to Adopt Linux
Posted by: JaquiG 2006-04-15 01:06:13 In reply to: Anonymous
I have to disagree that Red Hat Linux is a good option.
I have had nothing but troubles installing any Red Hat linux version I have looked at, on hardware that is currently running linux prior to attempting to even install Red Hat's products the failure of Red Hat to install at all is inexcusable.
I've looked at most major distributions of linux, and have found that for enterprise use Debian is most likely to be the best option. The slower release cycle of Debian is better suited to Enterprise use than the 6 month cycle most distributions employ.
I wouldn't recommend that any Government Agency seriously concider using a linux distribution that is on a 6 month release cycle, since the version they use will most likely be used for far longer than the 2 years the vendors would be supporting it.
I've been using linux only for 8 years.
[ I do not own a single copy of any Microsoft software, or software that requires Windows to be used. ]
Jump to:
Which COVID-19 vaccine would you prefer to receive if offered to you today?
Johnson & Johnson
Moderna
Pfizer-BioNTech
I'll take any COVID-19 vaccine that is made available to me right now.
I'm not sure. I need more time to make an educated decision.
I'm not interested in getting a COVID-19 vaccine at this time.