Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Novell's SuSe Woos Linux 'Newcomers'

Re: Novell's SuSe Woos Linux 'Newcomers'
Posted by: Robert Jaques 2004-10-07 19:58:43
See Full Story

Novell has claimed that its forthcoming SuSE Linux Professional 9.2 distribution will appeal to "Linux newcomers" as well as technical enthusiasts. The firm said that the operating system, which is due to ship in November, comes with comprehensive installation media, documentation and technical support designed to make the platform as user-friendly as possible.

Posted by: dukeinlondon 2004-10-08 07:07:10 In reply to: Robert Jaques
As long as linux can't take proprietary drivers, Linux will not have a lot of drivers. The most prolific linux driver provider is Nvidia and still, they remain vehemently proprietary.
I respect the feelings and opinions of RMS and Linus but if Suse, Linspire and mandrake care about business, they'd better get started at writing a good and well protected GPL hardware abstraction layer and then roadshow it to hardware manufacturers so binary drivers can be made available.

Posted by: ggvrsn 2004-10-07 20:26:49 In reply to: Robert Jaques
No matter how much SuSE or Xandros or Mandrake come up with good products, they will always be behind MS :
1. By the time a good version of linux is noticed by the common people, MS will make an Ad and incorporate it into their OS.
2. Not one company which is behind linux has the inclination to ask the makers of peripherals to write drivers for linux. Example : Intel, IBM and HP. Great intel is a member of OSDN, but they still do not provide drivers for their boards, webcams or their wireless chips fully to linux and HP says they market laptops with linux. Come on HP will you make drivers available for linux for your peripherals ? Dont even get me started on IBM.
3. The innovation or the cycle of a good OS coming to market is so long in Linux, it is really a shame that there are over 120 distributions of linux. The top players should not only boast about themselves but they should deliver.
I would love to evaluate SUSE 9.2 when it comes out. But it will be a long time before I give up my Xandros desktop.
Linux rocks and will rule soon ( by 2007)
-GGR
Jump to: