Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Students Who Used Campus Supernetwork Sued

Re: Students Who Used Campus Supernetwork Sued
Posted by: Greg Hernandez 2005-04-14 11:58:57
See Full Story

The movie and recording industries filed separate lawsuits yesterday against hundreds of college students across the U.S. who they claim illegally downloaded music or movies on their school's supercharged Internet2 network, primarily by using the i2hub file-swapping service. "This next generation of the Internet is an extraordinarily exciting tool for researchers, technologists and many others with valuable legitimate uses," RIAA President Cary Sherman said in a statement. "Yet, we cannot let this high-speed network become a zone of lawlessness where the normal rules don't apply."

Re: Students Who Used Campus Supernetwork Sued
Posted by: John_E_Public 2005-04-14 12:40:56 In reply to: Greg Hernandez
This 'spin' on free information and profit rich movies or music moguls is becoming exasperating! Perhaps the Supreme Court will take the gutsy direction & cut through all the bull surrounding p2p & pirating. MicroSoft's Win XP was the largest pirated version of it's software, yet it's the largest selling software platform also. Consider that for more than a minute. Life isn't a stock market, people who used pirated versions do just as much or more to bloster the circulation as legal copies. I'd be still on the ME platform, because that's what came with my 1st computer. The pirated version got me introduced to the platform of Win XP Pro. Now I have 3 computers in my home with legal versions on all. Same for Movies & music, If buying is the only way to see or watch, then I'll just have to see & watch a significant amount less. Only a fool looks at what has gone by & thinks he could have had it all, if but for a different way. You can't look at downloads of illegal material & correlate that into lost revenue. Many more people watched less entertaining movies over the last few years than would have prior to p2p's exsistance. A lot of minimally talented 'artists' got circulation due to p2p.
I say let's shut all that free exchanging down: trouble is, how will the RIAA & MPAA justify the lack of revenues 10 years from now? Consider how many people in general, live beyond their means already? Could anyone really believe those people are gonna now begin to shell out for 20 to 30 new XBOX games, 20 to 40 new CD albums or as many new movies? Not to mention the software and other types of files available through p2p & the like. That's $1000's & $1000's of dollars that people just don't collectively have.
I remember a story from back some years ago, where some retail stores of a specific clothing line, were activily allowing kids to steal their cloths so that the label would be widespread amongst youth in urban areas. This was considered a comptible loss, that, combined with focused advertising, meant increased sales. I'd have to say to the RIAA specifically, careful what you wish for, cause you will get it.
PS: I sold my recently purchased ipod as soon as I discovered it didn't have an input button.
Jump to:
I am most loyal to brands that...
Give the best value for my money
Have helpful and friendly staff
Operate an easy-to-use website
Provide fast, knowledgeable responses to questions
Support causes that I believe in