Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Salesforce Industries Summit
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: To Pop-Up, or Not To Pop-Up, That Is the Question

Re: To Pop-Up, or Not To Pop-Up, That Is the Question
Posted by: Douglas K. van Duyne 2005-02-11 12:14:11
See Full Story

Recently, while replying to e-mails from readers of my book, The Design of Sites, I came across a comment from a designer who claimed that my recommendation to use pop-ups was hopelessly out of date. Did this reader not understand me, my recommendation -- to use pop-ups primarily in situations when people are asking for more information or when trying to better serve customer needs by asking survey questions?

DELLís Own Pop-Up Kills All the Fun of Web Surfing
Posted by: Li-Yan 2006-08-06 07:54:39 In reply to: Douglas K. van Duyne
Dell computer is cheap all right. But I will NOT buy another one, becomes it does not work. Donít blame the manufacturer. Dell intentionally booby-trapped its own merchandise, so that I have to spend 60% of my surf time to clear Dellís pop-upsóabout 15 seconds of interruption after every 10 seconds of reading.
There is a link on Dell's pop-up, purportedly explaining "What's this". But it contains false information about "how to disable it." I called Dell's tech, and spent one hour of my time (and his time) to have it disabled.
A few weeks later, the pop-ups came back. I don't have another hour to spend every month. So what did Dell actually gain? Not another sale!
Jump to:
What is the greatest challenge to organizations implementing Artificial Intelligence?
A shortage of talent with the skills to utilize AI to its full potential.
AI can be expensive and the return on investment is questionable to decision makers.
AI is an unfamiliar and complex technology that is not yet fully trusted.
AI has its own set of cybersecurity concerns which require additional resources.
Dependability of AI technology is still in doubt.
Many view AI as an unnecessary luxury.