Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: EBay Bid-Riggers To Pay $90,000 in Fines, Restitution

Re: EBay Bid-Riggers To Pay $90,000 in Fines, Restitution
Posted by: Keith Regan 2004-11-10 09:43:03
See Full Story

In one of the largest instances to date of widespread big-rigging on auction site eBay, eight sellers have been ordered to pay US$90,000 in fines and restitution after admitting to engaging in practices that artificially drove up the prices of their auctions. The sellers began to pay restitution to buyers who ended up paying more than they needed to buy various items, including paintings and an SUV, on the auction site.

eBay introduces absolute anonymity for (shill) bidders
Posted by: PhilipCohen 2008-07-16 17:26:17 In reply to: Keith Regan
In Australia, the UK, Ireland and the Philippines, eBay has obscured auction bidding to the point that genuine bidders have got absolutely no chance of detecting and thereby protecting themselves from “shill” bidding (a criminal offence in most civilized countries) by unethical vendors.

Notwithstanding eBay’s statements to the contrary, this application of absolute anonymity (ie, Bidder 1, Bidder 2, etc) by eBay on these sites serves absolutely no purpose other than to deceive consumers by making even any otherwise obvious shill bidding undetectable; and the same criticism has always been applicable to eBay’s other shill bidders’ facility, “User ID kept private”.

Again, notwithstanding eBay’s various pronouncements about shill bidding being banned on eBay, eBay is now, on these sites, effectively (and knowingly) “aiding and abetting” such shill bidders at the expense of consumers. [more]

For those with a longer attention span, a lengthy critical analysis of this matter appears at:
http://www.auctionbytes.com/forum/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=6498345#6498345
I apologise in advance for the length of this linked “rant”. Needless to say eBay would not tolerate it on their discussion forums and I have spent time on eBay’s “naughty chair” for posting links to it.

If you are an unethical shill-bidding seller or a buyer who is not concerned that on the above-mentioned national sites eBay is effectively “aiding and abetting” such shill-bidding sellers to cheat you, read no further.

Re: EBay Bid-Riggers To Pay $90,000 in Fines, Restitution
Posted by: pmagsa 2004-11-10 10:32:11 In reply to: Keith Regan
eBay has to fight everyday to preserve its reputation. They have to fight fraud in the US but also abroad. I found that there are some email databases on sale at MercadoLibre (eBay branch for Latin America).
Vendors also offer software for capturing emails on the Internet and for sending (up to 30000 emails per hour). You may see my findings here (Post written in Spanish):
http://abundando.blogspot.com/2004/11/se-lucran-ebay-y-mercadolibre-con-el.html
Jump to:
When considering the credibility of an article I read online, I am most influenced by...
The organization or operator of the website that published the article
The journalist(s) who wrote the article
The sources quoted in the article
The quality or style of the writing
The individual(s) who brought the article to my attention
Whether the article has myriad shares or social media activity
My own knowledge or intuition