A Brand's Guide to Digital Shelf Analytics | Download the eBook Today!
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Economists Say 'Offshoring' Overblown as a Problem

Re: Economists Say 'Offshoring' Overblown as a Problem
Posted by: Stephen J. Glain 2004-03-16 10:00:00
See Full Story

Only in an election year could something statistically insignificant assume seismic proportions. The phenomenon known as "offshoring" -- the outsourcing abroad of white-collar work -- represents a tiny proportion of total U.S. employment, say most economists. What's more, the downsizing of manufacturing jobs is taking a heavier toll on Asian workers -- the ones allegedly stealing so many American paychecks from their U.S. counterparts.

Posted by: allmacs 2004-03-16 15:08:47 In reply to: Stephen J. Glain
They wouldn't think outsourcing was such a myth if they would come discuss it with all the people here in NW Ohio and SE Michigan who are out of work because of it.

Posted by: bkalkwar 2004-03-16 13:15:53 In reply to: Stephen J. Glain
I'm not sure what qualifies for "significant", but I have a few friends whose jobs have been exported overseas or south of the border. In fact, I have more friends whose jobs were exported than friends who were laid off. That says a lot about how "significant" job exportation is since I work in the tech field.

Posted by: remerton 2004-03-16 10:08:30 In reply to: Stephen J. Glain
"Lies, Damn Lies, & Statistics".
What I would like to know is now that this insignificant portion of the population is no longer employed in the US:
Who is going to pay the salaries of the government that is allowing the jobs to leave?
Who is going to maintain the secuity of the systems that are built in countries that are not governed by our laws?
Who is going to buy the houses that are no longer affordable by the middle class that is no longer in the US?
Who is going to buy the cars built by the companies who send the jobs away?
Who will buy the consumer goods?
Shall we stop supplying FREE FOOD to these countries that are importing the jobs? Maybe we should start charging?
Shall we collect the debts owed the United States on the "loans" we have made to develop these countries?
Did we learn nothing from our sending scrap metal to pre-WWII Japan? Maybe the ships and planes they made from that carried destruction back was "overblown," too?
Since I started with a famous quote, I would like to end with one as well -- "Those that refuse to learn from history's mistakes are doomed to repeat them."
THERE is the real problem.

Posted by: suhasnerurkar 2004-03-17 02:50:58 In reply to: remerton
It is important to remember that today US is dependent on exports - and any attempt to curb outsourcing will result in other countries stopping US imports. What happens to GM, Ford, GE, CitiBank, Boieng et al ? Do you think they make money in the US? No - they make money by selling in China and India.
You will then have more job losses in US....and you will not be able to blame outsourcing either !!!!
Free trade was imposed by the US on poor countries like India. This resulted in a lot of hardship in these countries. Today the wheel has turned.....and of course the American public now wants the rules changed as they are loosing.

Posted by: remerton 2004-03-20 06:01:12 In reply to: suhasnerurkar
I am all for the global economy -- how about if these countries start paying back the loans starting, say, on Monday?
Jump to:
Would you license your personal data to advertising platforms if you were paid directly for it?
Yes -- So much of my personal data is already in the hands of advertisers anyhow; I may as well be paid for it.
Possibly -- It depends how much I would be compensated and how the data I authorize to share would be used and protected.
No -- I would not sell my personal data at any price.