Instantly delete email threats for Office 365 » Free Offer
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Deliver winning CX every time
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Lawsuit Draws Bead on Shifty Spammers

Re: Lawsuit Draws Bead on Shifty Spammers
Posted by: Bill Husted 2004-02-19 19:09:33
See Full Story

The Alabama Gang sounds more like a name out of the old Wild West than from cyberspace. But there's no mistaking its membership, which includes some of the biggest guns in e-mail spamming. Until now, the Alabama Gang didn't have a face, just a name inspired by the spammers' practice of using telephone lines near Birmingham to send their e-mail. But in an amended lawsuit filed Tuesday in federal district court in Atlanta, EarthLink began naming names as it tries to put the spammers out of business.

Re: Lawsuit Draws Bead on Shifty Spammers
Posted by: rrjones 2004-02-19 19:23:12 In reply to: Bill Husted
The address that the spam directs information to should be easier to track. If the receptors of the financial gaines were fined $10,000 for each spam response addressed to them, it would reduce the profitablity of the venture. If we can't fine them , maybe we could do a Denial Of Service to the response recievers.
My spam load has increased to about 70% in the last three months. I don't want to change ISPs, but, this is getting rediculous.
Jump to:
When an operating system upgrade is released for your personal computer, how soon do you install it?
ASAP -- I like to have the latest software and security features as soon as they become available.
After a Couple of Weeks -- I wait a little while in case there are problems reported by first users of the new OS.
After One Month or Longer -- I'm skeptical of new software versions and want to be confident that bugs have been fixed.
Maybe Never -- If my computer is working, my view is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."