Get the ECT News Network Editor's Pick Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Why Lindows Is Not a Winning Name

Re: Why Lindows Is Not a Winning Name
Posted by: Naseem Javed 2004-02-18 10:09:43
See Full Story

On this small planet, there is room for only one Yahoo, one Google and one Apple. There is also room for only one Windows, Microsoft's giant global brand, despite the recent court ruling in Linux vendor Lindows' favor. After a prolonged battle between Microsoft and Lindows over use of the Lindows brand name, a grand jury in U.S. District Court in Seattle declared Windows to be a generic term. Lindows -- and, by extension, the Linux community -- may enjoy this victory, but the name play wasn't necessary.

Is the whole world stupid ?
Posted by: lehrig 2004-02-20 02:53:55 In reply to: Naseem Javed
Names like Windows or Apple are no brand names.
They are ordinary dictionary words.
Windows and Apple must be prohibited as brand Names.
They may use MS-Windows or Apple-Computers.
Why do we not simply install a DNS-Registry for brand names. All dictionary names would be occupied initially. The other brand names could be choosen freely by first comes first rules.

Re: Why Lindows Is Not a Winning Name
Posted by: occy2004 2004-02-18 11:53:04 In reply to: Naseem Javed
On the other hand, the Lindow's brand name has received a great deal of exposure on Google news and other media. Perhaps it was a strategy to create a name that would force Microsoft to litigate just to get media exposure over and over again. No other Linux-based PC software brand comes to mind, even though I know there are several others out there. Regarding using existing brand names to leverage or reposition competition, the “uncola” brand has many derivatives that have been successful in the marketplace. Good marketers remain flexible to the opportunities the market provides them irrespective of their philosophical viewpoints.
Jump to:
When considering the credibility of an article I read online, I am most influenced by...
The organization or operator of the website that published the article
The journalist(s) who wrote the article
The sources quoted in the article
The quality or style of the writing
The individual(s) who brought the article to my attention
Whether the article has myriad shares or social media activity
My own knowledge or intuition