Get the E-Commerce Minute Newsletter from the E-Commerce Times » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: How To Avoid Getting Burned by Used PCs

Re: How To Avoid Getting Burned by Used PCs
Posted by: Elizabeth Millard 2003-11-16 18:24:27
See Full Story

Judging by bids on eBay and postings on craigslist, the market for slightly used PCs appears to be sizzling. Many almost-new computers are sold for what seem to be highly favorable prices, compared with buying a new PC direct from a manufacturer. However, would-be buyers face several of the same pitfalls inherent in buying used cars. They do not know if the machine has been to hell and back or just used for quiet computing on Sunday mornings. Worse, buyers do not even have the luxury of asking for a test drive. How can they tell if they are getting a sweet deal -- or if they will be dealing with a lemon?

Re: How To Avoid Getting Burned by Used PCs
Posted by: pgr94 2003-11-19 14:44:33 In reply to: Elizabeth Millard
It would nice to have some pointers to freely available diagnostic tools. That way, buyers could ask the seller to supply a diagnostic report. Perhaps over time such diagnostic reports will become part of the advertisement for a computer for sale (e.g. on Ebay).
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.