Best Practices to Acquire Users and Manage Churn for OTT Services » Watch the On-Demand Webinar
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Breeding Grounds for Aspiring CIOs

Re: Breeding Grounds for Aspiring CIOs
Posted by: Lesley Hensell 2003-10-22 11:39:52
See Full Story

So you want to be the boss -- the head technology honcho with the CIO title. But when you shake off that daydream, you look around and see the cubicle of a low- to mid-level IT manager. How can a garden-variety IT professional break into the ranks of C-level management? According to executives who worked their way up through the IT ranks, it takes a lot more than technology know-how to be chosen as CIO. The right education helps, and a solid career path cannot hurt. But to get the glory, what you really need is guts.

Posted by: p7dickens 2003-12-31 11:57:31 In reply to: Lesley Hensell
This article provides sound information regarding the aspiration of climbing the “Corporate Ladder”; however, my query pertains to obtaining entry for an individual who holds a Bachelors and Masters Degree in IT (theory) after serving 21 years in the U.S. Air Force?

Posted by: chiefofficer 2003-10-22 11:43:20 In reply to: Lesley Hensell
One key element that was missed is 'communications'. The ability to talk to non-technical people without completely losing them after the second sentence. This is almost always the biggest downfall of mid-level IT's attempt to reach the peak.
Chief Officer
www.chiefofficer.com
Jump to:
What is your opinion of technology's place in the world?
Technology could be used to solve most of the world's problems if properly applied.
Technology creates more problems than it solves.
Some technologies are inherently good, and some are inherently evil.
I accept technology's risks in order to enjoy its benefits.
I'd like to go back in time to an era when technology was far less prevalent.
I'd like to go forward in time to a more technologically advanced era.