Get the ECT News Network Weekly Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: SoBig.F Worm Reported Spreading

Re: SoBig.F Worm Reported Spreading
Posted by: Robyn Weisman 2003-08-19 14:51:13
See Full Story

As predicted last week in TechNewsWorld's "Profile of a SuperWorm," the latest variant in the SoBig worm family has been unleashed, with Internet security firms reporting that several copies have been found in the wild. SoBig.F takes control of an infected PC, then creates and sends e-mail messages spoofing the PC's address. It also grants backdoor access to the infected computer, enabling an attacker to hijack the machine to steal confidential data, implement spam relay servers or even distribute updates to the worm.

Re: SoBig.F Worm Reported Spreading
Posted by: slackerman 2003-08-21 00:36:27 In reply to: Robyn Weisman
Why is it that Microsoft ships Outlook Express opening attachments of certain file types automatically??
I caught SoBig.F simply by opening up OE and having the bad luck to have my cursor on the infected e-mail message. I learned my lesson and set the "text-only" or some such button.
I also use Linux and MacOSX at home and at work. MS always tends to be more of a pain to deal with. It's amazing to think that they don't ship their software with higher security, by default. Particularly, when that's what they've been pushing over the last few years... All in all, I'll take my Linux box running XD2 to anything made by the boyz up in Redmond....
Cheers,
slackerman
Jump to:
Given the spread of the Covid-19 Delta variant, if my employer requires me to return to the company's location in 2021, I will...
Agree because I'm fully vaccinated.
Agree if the company institutes a mandatory mask requirement and other safety protocols.
Comply reluctantly, because I can't afford to lose my job, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job I feel is safer.
Resign because I'm not vaccinated and don't want to risk infection to myself or others.