Get the E-Commerce Minute Newsletter from the E-Commerce Times » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Cashing In on eBay Boom

Re: Cashing In on eBay Boom
Posted by: Steve Osunsami 2003-07-04 02:56:03
See Full Story

What began five years ago as an online garage sale has been transformed into a marketplace for a staggering amount of business. Last year, eBay's site took in more than $1 billion. The secret is in the subscriber. There are 69 million of them, and they are so turned on by a good deal that their frequent visits to the site border on addiction.
It has transformed the Web site. "This is just the beginning," eBay CEO Meg Whitman says.

Re: Cashing In on eBay Boom
Posted by: sellhollywood 2003-07-22 00:54:10 In reply to: Steve Osunsami
ATTENTION EBAY VICTIMS OF
BARRY J. REIGER AKA THEBARRY
FORMER SELLER ON EBAY.COM
THE FOLLOWING FEDERAL COURT CASE IS IN DUE PROCESS AND HEARING DATES 7/23/2003 CHICAGO,ILLINOIS,USA
# 03 CR500-1 USA vs. Barry Reiger 2002-2003
PLEASE REMEMBER THAT EBAY,COM IS NOT YOUR FRIEND AND WILL NOT REALLY HELP YOU!
ONLY YOUR RIGHTS AS A UNITED STATES CITIZEN AND AN AMERICAN WITH THE RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH AND THE ABILITY TO FILE CHARGES WITH LAW ENFORCEMENT AND UNITED STATES COURTS WILL KEEP YOU AND THE INTERNET SAFE FOR BEING A VICTIM!
Pressure must be applied whenever any questionable or deceptive auction actions takes place immediately on ebay.com and not in 24 to 48 hours as their automated messages spout automatically!
if you have similar theft problems.
try emailing
kobe@ebay.com or garff@ebay.com
both with the office of the president of ebay.com
next time your problem will get solved faster and pressure applied correctly only then file postal fraud charges.
You should always pay thru the United States Mail it's the only protection you really have besides postal insurance.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ALL NEWS MEDIA THE FACTS;
sirs,
we the victims of this matter have heard little coverage about these internet criminals prowling ebay's website cheating hundreds and thousands of unsuspecting and novice users daily.
Our justice system and very way of life are threatened with economic ruin and collapse if something is not done by government to enact laws to protect and enforce the safety of all people, whether they reside in the principle constitutional boundries of the united states or elsewhere in the world.
please give these facts your consideration.
UNITED STATES COURT,CHICAGO,ILLINOIS
WEDNESDAY JULY 23 2003 9;30 AM DEPT CR500 CHICAGO.ILLINOIS,USA
(next appearance for trial hearing)
BARRYJ. REIGER AKA; THEBARRY ON EBAY
Here's a letter I wrote responding to ebay policies and some facts from the criminal trial still going on from ebay.com seller , BARRYJ. REIGER , in Chicago who burned hundreds of ebayers, I am still dealing with the case trying to get justice and restitution for anyone involved,
You can look up his fraud on google under his ebay name '' thebarry( 17428)'', AKA ; BARRY J. REIGER you can see most of the negatives on ebay! Unfortunately, when he went private in march of 2002 and then was suspended the rest of the people could not post negatives which I find to be undemocratic of ebay and violating every buyer's free speech rights to deny information on what's really going on in real-time on ebay's company website and the policies to suppress real truthful facts and information when things go bad in real-time for the company through ebay's own negligence which is probably one reason why they closed down safe harbor pages.
I have spoken to the federal prosecutor and understand that BARRY J. REIGER will plead guilty next week although, unbeknownst to the federal district attorney, I have just learned that he is still selling online and underground, through other people on ebay. He is still using his other hidden assets that were not confiscated or known to exist at the time of his arrest and investigation.
I KNOW that,
ebay believes that people are basically good
it's too bad they can't follow their own words.
Any company that allows this kind of behavior on such a massive level is basically being delusional.
http://www.artbusiness.com/eBay.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/cryptography@c2.net/msg04542.html
http://www.business2.com/comp/0,2107,368%7C102,00.html
this letter below was in response to an ebay survey I was sent.
THE LETTER & THE QUESTIONS
Attention Ebay, Staff and Legal Departments.
I appreciate your allowing me to take your statistical survey about the ebay company auction site.
HOWEVER.....
What I would really like to see in an ebay survey is the true facts and statistics come out about how many people have been swindled and defrauded over the few years that the ebay auction corporation has been operating and when is ebay going to take any type of responsibility for helping enforce public rules, safety, laws, common sense and all logical regulations followed by the rest of fair trade society.
I for one know the numbers to be in the tens of thousands of victims in individual auction deals where someone bid and got burned, [locally, nationally or internationally], and this does not include those who just gave up because the loss of money was not worth the complaint process and/or time involved to get justice for the fraud that was perpetrated.
There are most likely millions of angry cheated buyers in good faith trying to interact through the ebay auction site on the Internet with little means of legally doing anything about it once cheated by sellers because of ebay's policy to suppress what I consider public information on factual crimes being committed against any/all consumers.
Anyone can attempt to sell anything on eBay no matter what the site's regulations say. Unless bidders notify eBay authorities in time, these sales can end on their own automatically and no one will ever know. If a seller/violator gets caught, punishments are slight, nothing more severe than being permanently banned from the site. In a world where changing your identity or credit card or getting a friend or relative to take over for you is an easy possibility, this is a nobrainer for any criminals worldwide!
Ebay employees explain constantly about being unable to make strict serious enforcement policies toward protecting consumers at all except ending auctions and suspending blatantly obvious criminal behavior of sellers, when after all they are really a "venue" with little or no responsibility toward any consumer protections or enforcement of facts, except to make money from services rendered without fault or blame for allowing almost anything to be posted for sale on ebay's auction website 24/7 with very little verification of fact.
As the warning posted on ebay pages says it all; "buyer beware"!
Along with the amount of pirated and bootleg items being sold daily on ebay without any fear of legal repercussion or criminal and civil prosecution, unless hours of voluntary time are spent by bidders/consumers trying to bring these matters to the attention of ebay staff who send repetitive emails directing you to copyrights owners in a Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) Program set up to take any blame away from ebay or its employees having any knowledge whatsoever about factually identifying anything and ebay is usually loathe to end an auction without irrefutable proof and testimony, lest a nickel of profit be deleted out of the ebay cash machine over any unproven auction practice(s).
I doubt ebay will ever have mandatory serious protection policies for bidders who buy 10 or more items at a time, be it an hour, a day, a week, or a month and are swindled or lose money through the misrepresentation of items and fraud by people only looking to defraud the public for self gain. [and there are thousands out there everyday scheming to do so on ebay.com.]
How long the federal government can allow this practice to go on and on within its federal borders and jurisdiction, as well as on the Internet in the public view, is a travesty of justice, the fair trade act, freedom of speech rights and all consumer laws around the world and a terrible reflection on Americans as a free and fair trade society.
All because some lawyers got together to protect an "internet auction company" established in the united states of america, who incorporated with the word "VENUE" making it impervious to liability for transgressions done to innocently interacting / participating consumers on ebay's web site.
I might as well be gambling in Las Vegas for the protection offered me! The ebay house always wins and does little when I lose!
Ebay self-protection policies while humoring cheated consumers from doing little if anything in a timely manner or any legal recourse in these matters with the exception of being able to claim a few item losses a year through minor insurance coverage claims ebay conveniently supplies to cover any legal liability.
[laughable at best]
When I was personally being defrauded for over $2300.00 on one seller's video auctions [thebarry( 17429) ],
I had dealt with the seller several times before and had trusted that ebay's safety controls and rules and safety controls were enough to protect me.
Being the seller BARRY j.REIGER had over 17,000 positive feedbacks [before he went private shortly after I sent my money and ebay never warned any buyers of this seller's actions or suspicious auctions through emails or otherwise that something was going down and that negative feedbacks were pouring in at an alarming rate or I could have canceled my payments immediately.
['' thebarry( 17429)A.K.A.- BARRY J. REIGER Not a registered user''] ,# 03 CR500-1 USA vs. Barry Reiger
Having bid on hundreds of individual auctions, done over a month or more, in good faith only to find that I could only claim the highest 3 items in a six-month period and then not claim any more items for a one-year period. not a good deal when you have bid for over 550 items in such a short period.
Rather than acknowledge the almost totally self-protecting policies of ebay corporation against more than a slight liability issue toward protecting all consumers on their part,
I took the entire loss feeling rather used by an auction web site that I thought was an innocently promoted fun "venue" to participate on!
The other issues were the overcharging postage or postal skimming as it is called, which many ebay sellers think is perfectly justified and can vary from 50 cents to $10.00 in extra charges because they wish to sell items and get paid to pack and ship them as well without giving fixed shipping prices till after auctions end and you the "buyer" have agreed to purchase an item too late realizing you're overpaying by many extra dollars in shipping!
I find that if this type of behavior continues, we as a society will destroy free trade as we know it, through our own actions in allowing these kind of behaviors, by not making a stand against ebay policies of looking the other way and not showing future generations what fair trade is all about and keep reliving the same deceptive, scandalous lessons of the past with each newly cheated generation of consumers.
I believed enough protections were in place for all consumers; unfortunately, I was deceived, too!
Law Enforcement Officials have painted me a totally different and shocking picture of the realities and priorities of what kind of Internet crimes in proportion to the quantity and seriousness that they will immediately act on, once reported in the system and within the law enforcement budgets and manpower allowed them through government.
# 03 CR500-1 USA vs. Barry Reiger
I sadly end this letter no further along, feeling no safer than when I started and more paranoid about my fellow man at the other end of the keyboard.
I am hoping to encourage those of you who realize something must be done and wish to change this corrupt, almost one-sided ebay system of not-so-free trade where a few corporations and sellers profit at the expense of many innocent consumers who really have no consumer voice or protection without proper representation and organization.
Ebay buries all possible crime transaction records, reports and statistical information on individuals who are defrauded.
[unless the individuals like us spread the word ourselves after being burned.] from any/all public eyes with the exception of law enforcement and only when you the victim have finally reported to them, usually too little too late; by the time it's reported and looked into, most smart criminals are long gone.
Which means you and I could only obtain the individual facts of each individual crime(s) and transaction(s) with a Lawyer and get subpoena(s) of each and every transaction record(s) and then only if I were involved in those auction(s) in some way or the victim made a report other than on ebay.com.
This is a new way to make money and look respectable and hiding behind a mask of friendly respectability by using right-to-privacy laws to keep information from the people who need to know the most how to make a reasonable consumer decision to feel safe to interact on either ebay.com or the Internet.
So much for the public trust. [in private hands.]
Let's see John Ashcroft handle this one!
YOU CAN CALL THE JUSTICE DEPARTMENT AND TALK ABOUT THIS CASE IF YOU WERE A VICTIM ON EBAY.COM
Hoping justice for all will prevail,
Richard Silva,
WWW.SELLHOLLYWOOD.COM
po.box 2428
Wilcox Station
Hollywood,California
Jump to:
Given the spread of the Covid-19 Delta variant, if my employer requires me to return to the company's location in 2021, I will...
Agree because I'm fully vaccinated.
Agree if the company institutes a mandatory mask requirement and other safety protocols.
Comply reluctantly, because I can't afford to lose my job, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job I feel is safer.
Resign because I'm not vaccinated and don't want to risk infection to myself or others.