Get the ECT News Network Weekly Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: How Apple's Spam Filter Stacks Up

Re: How Apple's Spam Filter Stacks Up
Posted by: Tiernan Ray 2003-05-22 11:34:32
See Full Story

I won't say I don't receive pitches for the occasional mortgage discount or Vegas vacation, the latest performance-enhancing elixir or anatomical wonder pills. Somehow those untidy and still slightly amusing offenders still wriggle past my defenses. In general, though, I've had good results with a built-in spam stopper in Apple Computer's Mail program, which I've used daily since it was released with the Jaguar update of OS X last year.

Posted by: AndyDent 2003-06-23 22:04:28 In reply to: Tiernan Ray
Please don't recommend people bounce Spam - I received 3,000 emails and death threats one weekend because some Russian spammer faked a From address from my domain. The emails were all apparently bounced bad addresses, I cringe to think how many people received the spam!

I'm the guy who said the filter wasn't working....
Posted by: carlfish 2003-05-23 06:25:58 In reply to: Tiernan Ray
The link from this article to my site doesn't show the follow-up: I was actualy misusing the filter by not deleting my marked spam. Since resetting the filter and following the instructions, it has caught about 90% of my spam.
See: http://fishbowl.pastiche.org/archives/001291.html

Re: I'm the guy who said the filter wasn't working....
Posted by: tiernantech 2003-05-28 04:00:00 In reply to: carlfish
Carlfish,
Thanks for your feedback -- I'm the writer. I'll take up your correction with the editors.

Posted by: mok 2003-05-23 01:26:48 In reply to: Tiernan Ray
I think it is possible to "bounce" emails back to sender. It's just not done automatically by Mail. Highlight an email you want to "bounce" and use the command under the Message Pull down menu. Maybe future versions of Mail will let you set this as a preference.

Posted by: GanzoLoco 2003-05-27 03:47:02 In reply to: mok
You can bounce mails automatically already! It's damn easy!
Just go to "preferences", click the "Rules" icon, select the "Junk" filter and click the "Edit" button. You can modify the rule and ask the Mail application to redirect, forward, delete, or reply to the e-mail (you can specify the reply-to text). Neat.
The "Rules" preferences in Mail are not very well-known, but they're real easy and quite powerful...

Posted by: tiernantech 2003-05-28 03:56:36 In reply to: GanzoLoco
GonzoLoco,
This is TR, the writer. Thanks for your post. In fact, the Mail.app rules, while quite good, do not allow you to bounce to the sender. The options for mail in the "junk" rule are to
Transfer
Set color
Play sound
Forward
Redirect
Delete
Mark as read
Mark as flagged
Run Applescript
(and Stop Evaluating rules)
But "bounce to sender" is a separate function, and it is not on the list. I asked Apple about this and they said, "Huh, okay, good point, we'll take that up."
TR

Posted by: Ashari 2003-05-22 11:37:11 In reply to: Tiernan Ray
If you think Apple's Mail Spam Filter is good, you should see Mozilla's Junk Filter! It catches over 99% of all spam/junk and rarely has the "false positives" or misses that Apple's Mail Spam Filter has so many problems with.

Posted by: Warlock7 2003-05-22 16:59:49 In reply to: Ashari
I use Mozilla at the office and Apple's Mail program at home. The Mac program is vastly superior. I receive all sorts of the "trickier" spam through Mozilla, while my Mac catches most of what Mozilla misses in addition to virtually EVERYTHING that Mozilla catches. So, from personal experience, I can say that Mozilla is good but Apple's Mail is better at SPAM filtering.
Jump to:
Which review rating influences you most when researching a business?
5 Stars - I want to know what others found amazing.
4 Stars - I want to find out why it's liked for the most part, but not without faults.
3 Stars - I want to understand why the business is neither loved nor hated.
2 Stars - I want to learn why the weaknesses outweigh the strengths.
1 Star - I want to know why anybody says they are completely dissatisfied with the business.