Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: AOL, MSN, Yahoo Join Forces in Spam War

Re: AOL, MSN, Yahoo Join Forces in Spam War
Posted by: Keith Regan 2003-04-28 11:13:19
See Full Story

Setting aside their natural competitive impulses, AOL, Microsoft and Yahoo have announced they will work together to fight the flood of unwanted commercial e-mail cluttering their customers' inboxes. The move comes as the FTC prepares to convene an anti-spam forum in Washington, D.C., and as proposed legislation seeking to toughen sanctions against spammers gains broader industry support.

Spam War Will Leave a lot of Collateral Damage...
Posted by: perpeta 2003-04-28 14:48:33 In reply to: Keith Regan
Nice thought, but letting these behemoths determine what is and is not spam will not sit well with many people (me for one).
Yes, I am tired of the spam and upset that there is no good way to protect my child's e-mail account, but I don't want to hand over the keys to these guys to determine what to filter. Their rules will determine what I see and don't see, and that puts too much control in their hands.
Until there is a way to define spam on a personal basis, without having to set up complex filtering rules, this issue will not disappear. The big companies have not come together to solve this problem because it will only open up another can of worms by letting them be the e-mail cops.

Re: AOL, MSN, Yahoo Join Forces in Spam War
Posted by: Lady_J96 2003-04-28 11:30:37 In reply to: Keith Regan
I do believe that if AOL, MSN, and Yahoo can do something about all this spam mail that we keep receiving that it would be great. The problem that I see with it is that there will be another way around the filters that may be put into place. I myself use Yahoo and MSN and my problem is that with my filters set I still receive about an average of 150 bulk messages and then some in my inbox. I am almost to the point of getting rid of my accounts altogether. I hope that this will work and that it will be put into effect immediately!!
Jump to:
Which type of online advertising is most likely to attract your favorable attention?
Straightforward display ads
Ads based on my interests
Informational articles on products/services
Video ads
Ads designed to grab my attention, e.g. pop-ups, autoplay
None -- I avoid all online ads