Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Who Needs Colorful Little Tech Firms Anyway?

Re: Who Needs Colorful Little Tech Firms Anyway?
Posted by: Keith Regan 2003-04-23 13:25:35
See Full Story

In the technology aquarium, they were the brightly colored, fancy fish that darted around and drew attention to themselves. The bigger fish swam by slowly, patiently waiting for the tank to be all theirs once again. Well, it just about is. That's too bad, right? Small companies, after all, provide innovation and energy, enabling the sparks of creativity to fly. They can think outside the box and tackle problems other companies didn't even know existed. Right? Maybe.

Posted by: michael_ortner 2003-04-23 15:40:07 In reply to: Keith Regan
I agree with the main point of the article, but I disagree with the writer when he groups dot-commers, eBay and Amazon, in with Microsoft and Dell. Microsoft and Dell have been around for a couple of decades. eBay and Amazon didn't exist before 1995, so I would group them in with the colorful little tech firms. And, just because hundreds of dot-coms flamed out by foolishly spending tens of millions in unnecessary labor and advertising, doesn't mean the industry failed. It's just another great example of how many industries start out - lots of hype, thousands of disasters, and after considerable sweat and turmoil, dozens, if not hundreds, of successes. How many profitable and growing dot-coms need to appear before the industry stops getting slammed by the media? Are eBay, Yahoo, Amazon.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Google, eTrade, Overture, NetFlix, and LendingTree not enough?

Posted by: kathleen.mccahill 2003-04-23 13:57:21 In reply to: Keith Regan
The oldest of these Big Fish is Microsoft 1975 and
the most recent is ebay and amazon 1995. The latter have not been around a long time and have struggled (in fact some would say are still struggling) to stay on top of the heap. Dell has superior online ordering capabilities, which isn't saying a lot, because the other pc companies are just really bad in this area.
Microsoft has achieved a lofty goal of having their product on every desktop, unfortunately their website suffers from a bureacratic mess that would take only the people who created it to figure out. The colorful companies serve a purpose, some even have niches and exist today as well-respected entities known for innovativeness and creativity. Certainly not suffering from lack of enthusiasm or malaise that larger companies foster. Peruse their websites and send an email for customer support, the Big Fish need to go back to square one because despite some advances they are embarrassingly inept at addressing key issues and only concerned with selling product.
Jump to:
Which type of online advertising is most likely to attract your favorable attention?
Straightforward display ads
Ads based on my interests
Informational articles on products/services
Video ads
Ads designed to grab my attention, e.g. pop-ups, autoplay
None -- I avoid all online ads