Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Time for an Apple Blade Server?

Re: Time for an Apple Blade Server?
Posted by: Tiernan Ray 2003-04-21 15:48:01
See Full Story

Apple's Xserve is a well-designed 1U rack server that has won approval from trade pubs that often dote on IBM and Hewlett-Packard. But the market is already shifting from 1U rack-mount servers to racks of computers-on-a-card, known as blade servers. Apple can play the blade server game, too. It has the technology, and it has won some attention with Xserve. The only thing Apple doesn't have is enterprise-class software that businesses want. Even that may be negotiable, though.

Posted by: SEggermont 2003-04-24 08:11:33 In reply to: Tiernan Ray
Apple not only has the right technology, it already has the right
motherboard. Repackaging a powerbook is all that's needed.
Blade servers are only going to take off when they can handle much more RAM than the current generation. There is a massive market for RAM+parallel processing-based decision-support.
Stephan

Posted by: Nooneelse 2003-04-23 12:11:29 In reply to: Tiernan Ray
The biggest hole in Apple's server offering is not a blade server, but ECC memory. I know several people
who would love to use a Macintosh server, but without the option of ECC memory, they end up buying Sun, IBM, or PC hardware instead. Even though memory problems are rare, they are sufficiently difficult to diagnose that it's worth the extra cost to have reliable memory.

Posted by: pdost 2003-04-22 15:12:59 In reply to: Tiernan Ray
The article states that '[Mac OS] currently doesn't have the demonstrated "five 9's" reliability of the enterprise computer players.'
I'd like to know which version(s) of Windows do.
Jump to:
Which type of online advertising is most likely to attract your favorable attention?
Straightforward display ads
Ads based on my interests
Informational articles on products/services
Video ads
Ads designed to grab my attention, e.g. pop-ups, autoplay
None -- I avoid all online ads