Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Content Marketing on ALL EC
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Steve Jobs, the Music Man

Re: Steve Jobs, the Music Man
Posted by: Peter Burrows, Ronald Grover & Tom Lowry 2003-04-18 18:35:45
See Full Story

Apple chief Steven P. Jobs is known in the music industry as Mr. "Rip. Mix. Burn." That was the title of an ad campaign that Apple ran in early 2001 for its iTunes software. Music executives fumed that it was a clarion call to Apple customers to steal music by downloading it from the Internet. Now, Jobs is angling to sell online music. But how he intends to build a thriving online music business where so many others have stumbled is not clear.

Re: Steve Jobs, the Music Man
Posted by: oirudleahcim 2003-04-25 22:22:27 In reply to: Peter Burrows, Ronald Grover & Tom Lowry
The article glosses over the one service that does accommodate Mac users.
If your tastes in music run a bit more esoteric than the Top 40 pablum and curlicues, there's eMusic, which does at least attempt to cater to the Mac crowd. Granted, its helper application, Pickup, is something less than rock-solid stable, but it works and has helped me to tap into a world of music I wouldn't otherwise have possibly been able to afford and can freely sample to avoid downloading bloopers.
My "real CD" collection approaches 3,000 discs, and I don't need to engage in file-swapping to enhance my collection. Somehow, people like me have been completely overlooked by the record companies.
Jump to:
Which type of online advertising is most likely to attract your favorable attention?
Straightforward display ads
Ads based on my interests
Informational articles on products/services
Video ads
Ads designed to grab my attention, e.g. pop-ups, autoplay
None -- I avoid all online ads