A Brand's Guide to Digital Shelf Analytics | Download the eBook Today!
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Daily CyberCrime and Security Report for December 5, 2002

Re: Daily CyberCrime and Security Report for December 5, 2002
Posted by: Stephanie Losi 2002-12-07 22:26:54
See Full Story

A daily survey of the latest cybercrime news from around the world.

Re: Daily CyberCrime and Security Report for December 5, 2002
Posted by: TimKing 2002-12-07 22:33:52 In reply to: Stephanie Losi
I hate pop-up ads, too. But has anyone noticed the guy (Philip J. Carstens) who is suing Bonzi Software also sued his "former employer" after he sustained an "injury" of a "traumatic nature" when he bit into a piece of "Halloween Candy" taken from a dish located on the reception desk of his employer and "broke loose a dental crown."
It's kind of like the story about the burglar who sued for being trapped for 8 days in a garage of a house that he burgled -- with "nothing" to survive on, except a case of soft drinks and a bag of dry dog food.
You should read his legal argument: "The candy was either furnished by Mr. Carstens' employer, or by the receptionist employed by Mr. Carstens' employer, with full knowledge of the company's management and because the injury occurred in the course of his employment, Mr. Carstens had clearly sustained an injury compensable under the Industrial Insurance Act."
Compensable? What does that word mean? Do they mean like... as in... compensation? Do they mean like... M-O-N-E-Y?
But the really shocking thing is: HE WON THE CANDY LAWSUIT AND ACTUALLY GOT MONEY FOR HIS "TRAUMATIC INJURIES"! You can read all the "traumatic" details of that fateful day at: http://www.wa.gov/biia/890723.htm
However, there's one more interesting twist to this story. It turns out the "employer" that Mr. Carstens sued was the law firm of "Lukins & Annis" -- that's right, the same law firm who is now suing Bonzi Software on Mr. Carstens' behalf.
SO LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT. YOU HAVE A LAWYER -- WHO SUED HIS OWN LAW FIRM FOR BEING "TRAUMATICALLY INJURED" BY A PIECE OF HALLOWEEN CANDY -- AND NOW THE SAME GUY HAS BEEN "INJURED" BY INTERNET POP-UP ADS TOO?
The poor guy. I guess some people just have all the bad luck.
Tim King
Jump to:
Would you license your personal data to advertising platforms if you were paid directly for it?
Yes -- So much of my personal data is already in the hands of advertisers anyhow; I may as well be paid for it.
Possibly -- It depends how much I would be compensated and how the data I authorize to share would be used and protected.
No -- I would not sell my personal data at any price.