Get the E-Commerce Minute Newsletter from the E-Commerce Times » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Report: Online Sales Fell for First Time in Q3

Re: Report: Online Sales Fell for First Time in Q3
Posted by: Keith Regan 2002-10-30 12:40:44
See Full Story

U.S. online sales fell in the third quarter, marking the first quarterly decline in the history of e-tail as economic realities finally found their way onto the Web, according to a Forrester Research report. Forrester said sales in the quarter totaled about $17 billion, down from nearly $20 billion in both the first and second quarters. Forrester analyst Carrie A. Johnson told the E-Commerce Times that the largest merchants, including Amazon.com and Yahoo, propped up sales figures for the sector overall.

Re: Report: Online Sales Fell for First Time in Q3
Posted by: davidport 2002-10-30 13:57:26 In reply to: Keith Regan
According to government statistics, combined e-commerce and catalog sales accounted for only about 3% of total US retail in 2001 -- only slightly higher than 10 years earlier, when shopping on the Internet wasn't even possible. Since the innovation needed for significant growth requires widespread participation, yet since that's not likely to happen until more people first understand the primary constraint, may I ask you to please consider highlighting the issue discussed at www.smartbox.com?
Jump to:
When considering the credibility of an article I read online, I am most influenced by...
The organization or operator of the website that published the article
The journalist(s) who wrote the article
The sources quoted in the article
The quality or style of the writing
The individual(s) who brought the article to my attention
Whether the article has myriad shares or social media activity
My own knowledge or intuition