Get the ECT News Network Editor's Pick Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Lots of Smoke But No Fire

Re: Lots of Smoke But No Fire
Posted by: Keith Regan 2002-08-21 18:48:50
See Full Story

The U.S. Government Accounting Office has determined that states are losing out on
millions of dollars in unpaid excise taxes because of online cigarette sales. This comes
after the Federal Trade Commission got wise a few weeks ago that the government might be
able to do more to grease the works for an e-commerce takeoff. It's nice to know the
government is paying attention. Now, as an experiment, let's all hold our breath until
it actually does something about either issue.

Posted by: bit-o-data 2002-10-08 17:22:53 In reply to: Keith Regan
When the government takes in tax money in an area that is a special tax just for that item, i.e. not a general sales tax, it is in fact making money off of the pain and suffering produced by that product. If I paid more money in tax on tobacco than it was worth I would just start growing my own. There is no justification for the outrageous tax on tobacco products other than greed. The government loves the fact that smokers are hooked and are forced to pay the tax on this government-endorsed monopoly.

Posted by: workinghard 2002-10-08 19:12:40 In reply to: bit-o-data
Actually I am happy to see the smokers pay tax. As far as I am concerned it should be $100 a pack. It would help crack down on smoking. Yes, I am the smoking nazi. I don't like it and I am consistently forced to breathe it in restaurants, elevators, bars etc. Make a smokeless cigarette and I'll be happy to sit near you, otherwise try and find a way to kill yourself without involving me.
Jump to:
Given the spread of the Covid-19 Delta variant, if my employer requires me to return to the company's location in 2021, I will...
Agree because I'm fully vaccinated.
Agree if the company institutes a mandatory mask requirement and other safety protocols.
Comply reluctantly, because I can't afford to lose my job, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job I feel is safer.
Resign because I'm not vaccinated and don't want to risk infection to myself or others.