Get the E-Commerce Minute Newsletter from the E-Commerce Times » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Ideoclick eBook
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Can Microsoft Beat Its Image Problem?

Re: Can Microsoft Beat Its Image Problem?
Posted by: Elizabeth Millard 2002-07-22 10:52:32
See Full Story

Few companies in recent history, with the exception of spectacular flameouts like Enron,
have inspired the kind of loathing that Microsoft has in its climb to the top. "They have
a tendency to be like a fighter who gets his knees and elbows into everything," IDC vice
president Dan Kusnetzky told the E-Commerce Times. "Some people think their behavior
should change, that they should quit street fighting." Can Microsoft work to repair its
image? Some analysts say the company is already on the right road.

Posted by: Sheumack 2002-07-23 12:08:17 In reply to: Elizabeth Millard
There are more than just philosophical reasons why people avoid Microsoft.
I have nothing personal against Mac, some of my best friends use Mac. My brother, a film-score musician, runs his entire business off Mac.
My mother runs Windows. She writes letters to her friends, scans cute pictures of her dog and emails them to me on the other side of the world. Windows copes with this perfectly.
Me? I am one of those people who you describe above.
My life is as Bill-free as I can make it. (Two exceptions, there is no escaping the "standard" that is Microsoft Word format, though thank God for Adobe, and Blizzard's addictive StarCraft doesn't run under anything else.)
Although this is not the place to repeat all the "Anti-Windows" arguments, it is well worth mentioning that I avoid Windows like the plague because, fundamentally, the product simply isn't up to scratch, especially when your job is to design highly available secure corporate networks. As soon as you install Outlook Express, Microsoft's product for the common use of the internet, email, you have to reinforce all points of entry to your network to stop the inevitable time bomb.
I would be lying if I said I had no philosophical problem with the way that Microsoft does business. As a technical person, it irks me when inferior or non-functioning software takes the market share at the demise of something clever, efficient or novel. Windows is none of these. My biggest gripe is when people shrug at ever-present blue-screen-of-death because their expectations have been set so low. "Computers just do that." Sure, but they don't have to.
Once you get past Solitaire and Word, chances are a Microsoft product is not the best for the job.
A final point. A friendly graphical interface is easier for non-technical people, such as my mother, to use. But if you are entrusting your corporate security to somebody who can only "point and click", you may as well leave all your doors unlocked and Windows open.
Real Hackers don't use GUIs.

Posted by: georgeum 2002-07-22 16:57:34 In reply to: Elizabeth Millard
Of course, Microsoft really is an evil empire, only now more insidious than before...

Posted by: colinmackenzie 2002-07-22 16:25:34 In reply to: Elizabeth Millard
Microsoft has an uphill battle to win this one. First off, they could try to make their web site more user friendly for non-IT customers (ie end-users). Again with their web site - they could try making it less US-centric - there is a whole load of customers who don't live in the USA. Tightly integrating their Windows OS to other MS products is also a great source of irritation - what about the other software that is out there?
The corporates are keeping MS to the forefront, but remember what happened to IBM! Now we have Compaq, HP, Toshiba, etc. etc.......
Jump to: