Get the E-Commerce Minute Newsletter from the E-Commerce Times » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: The E-Commerce Tax Bottom Line

Re: The E-Commerce Tax Bottom Line
Posted by: Keith Regan 2002-05-06 15:51:21
See Full Story

Although e-commerce can breathe a bit easier now that a long-standing moratorium on
blanket online sales taxes has been extended, most observers say there will be little
more than a brief pause before the battle is joined again. "Until the states can get
together on how it's going to work, online retailers have a very good argument against
those taxes," GartnerG2 research director Mike McGuire told the E-Commerce Times. "They
can ask, 'How am I supposed to meet six or seven thousand different tax regulations?'"

Posted by: pgbenne 2002-05-08 16:53:11 In reply to: Keith Regan
We have enough taxes. It's time to simplify. And the government has to learn to live with its budget. Taxes are a method of redistributing money. Taxes take dollars from one person and distribute them to someone else. The less taxes an economy has, the healthier it will be. Sales tax also puts an unfair burden on the lower and middle classes. Some states don't have a sales tax. If the states want more money, they can implement or increase their state income tax and can the sales tax altogether. The collection problem is too costly to figure out. Administration will be an additional expensive problem. The federal government has more important things to do. Save us all time, energy and money and increase an existing tax revenue source instead of creating a new one.

Posted by: tchyfeeley 2002-05-06 17:51:41 In reply to: Keith Regan
I buy a lot of products online. I am a college student, so I try to save money buying online. The prices of merchandise online are lower than a retail store, but you still have to pay to ship the item. Most often you're only saving money on tax and maybe a couple of bucks off than going to a store. If they start charging sales tax, then there is little incentive to buy online. I buy out-of-state just so I don't have to pay tax, and I know many people that do the same. If I have to pay the full price like at a brick-and-mortar, then I will just go to the brick-and-mortar.
Thanks.

Posted by: ccjames1 2002-05-06 23:04:19 In reply to: tchyfeeley
I do not have a problem with sales tax online. I have my own Web-based business. We already collect sales tax all over the U.S. All of that is done for us by the Website. Anyone interested email me and I will let you know how we do it.
CCJAMES1@NETSCAPE.NET

Posted by: workinghard 2002-05-06 18:23:41 In reply to: tchyfeeley
Convenience, convenience, convenience. I am too busy to go running off to the store all the time. I am more than happy to shell out a couple of bucks for the ability to buy online.
Jump to:
Which review rating influences you most when researching a business?
5 Stars - I want to know what others found amazing.
4 Stars - I want to find out why it's liked for the most part, but not without faults.
3 Stars - I want to understand why the business is neither loved nor hated.
2 Stars - I want to learn why the weaknesses outweigh the strengths.
1 Star - I want to know why anybody says they are completely dissatisfied with the business.