A Brand's Guide to Digital Shelf Analytics | Download the eBook Today!
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: The Double Standard of E-Commerce Service

Re: The Double Standard of E-Commerce Service
Posted by: Elaine X. Grant 2002-05-01 06:20:51
See Full Story

Shopping online is a far different experience than it is offline. With few exceptions,
when people shop online they are on their own. How did consumers come to accept such a
double standard? Among other factors, a slump in the quality of brick-and-mortar customer
service may underlie this apparent dichotomy. "I think the best thing that ever happened
to e-commerce is the death of the service industry in America," Giga Information Group
research director John Ragsdale said.

Posted by: tomho 2002-05-01 10:51:54 In reply to: Elaine X. Grant
BUT, this assessment is unfortunately true:
The most serious problem with shopping online occurs when a Web-only store does not adequately handle a complaint or question, according to Ragsdale. Unlike at a brick-and-mortar store, there is no way to ask for the manager of an e-tail outlet.
"When there are no phone numbers or e-mail addresses listed, you are at their mercy," Ragsdale said. "You often are funneled to a form to fill out, instead of an e-mail address, so you don't even have a copy of the complaint for your records."
Even worse, when customers do send e-mail or fill out a form online, according to Gartner's Sarner, companies sometimes do not respond for two or three days.

Posted by: tomho 2002-05-01 10:49:21 In reply to: Elaine X. Grant
Brick vs. Click
I wholeheartedly agree with the assessment that online service compares favorably with "brick & mortar" stores
Jump to:
When considering the credibility of an article I read online, I am most influenced by...
The organization or operator of the website that published the article
The journalist(s) who wrote the article
The sources quoted in the article
The quality or style of the writing
The individual(s) who brought the article to my attention
Whether the article has myriad shares or social media activity
My own knowledge or intuition