Get the ECT News Network Weekly Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Yahoo! Claims Sale Paid Big - But Who's Counting?

Re: Yahoo! Claims Sale Paid Big - But Who's Counting?
Posted by: Keith Regan 2002-03-21 13:59:48
See Full Story

Yahoo! is reporting that its sales rose 25 percent during a three-day discount promotion
last week. But GartnerG2 research director David Schehr told the E-Commerce Times that
the true impact of the promotion remains unclear. "It's tough to judge how big a bump it
is when all they'll talk about is percentages," he said. Schehr also questioned whether
the sale will have lasting value in terms of driving traffic to Yahoo! and its
third-party merchants.

Posted by: kathleen.mccahill 2002-03-21 14:41:34 In reply to: Keith Regan
Yahoo! could have done a better job advertising this weekend sale - because I was not aware of it (being a surfer thru Yahoo!) while on the site prior to the sale, but learned of the promotion thru another source. However, there is nothing to indicate that this spike, percentages or real numbers, was expected to be sustained by Yahoo! after the weekend sale. It is like Macy's white flower day sale, a crowd is expected because of great discounts offered, a shopping holiday that occurs once a year. But to hold Yahoo hostage because percentages were cited is ridiculous, especially since the event took place just last weekend. If the numbers are suspect, then maybe Schehr should have just come out and said that instead of beating around the point with future projections of true impact. which by the way, is just as cloudy as the next day weather forecast.

Posted by: jwilner 2002-03-21 14:01:17 In reply to: Keith Regan
Yahoo! claims that HP's consumer site saw a sales increase of 380 percent. without knowing what they were prior, we cannot determine if the increase is truly significant. They could have had as little one sale prior, making this 380% increase less substantial.

Posted by: workinghard 2002-03-21 17:42:09 In reply to: jwilner
I agree. Numbers are easily massaged to change their real meaning.
Jump to:
What is your opinion of technology's place in the world?
Technology could be used to solve most of the world's problems if properly applied.
Technology creates more problems than it solves.
Some technologies are inherently good, and some are inherently evil.
I accept technology's risks in order to enjoy its benefits.
I'd like to go back in time to an era when technology was far less prevalent.
I'd like to go forward in time to a more technologically advanced era.