Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Ideoclick eBook
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Dude, You're Not Getting a Dell

Re: Dude, You're Not Getting a Dell
Posted by: John Pletz 2002-03-01 15:40:25
See Full Story

A seemingly well-intended e-commerce filtering program has backfired on Dell, leaving the
world's largest computer seller ducking for cover from gun owners. Jack Weigand, who runs a small
gunsmithing business in rural Pennsylvania, said Dell rejected his order for a notebook
computer because the name of his company, Weigand Combat Handguns Inc., raised a red flag
in Dell's computerized ordering system.

Posted by: vwguy 2002-03-04 18:44:55 In reply to: John Pletz
Well, I looked up the source of the story and found Jack's website. The details can be found here. : http://www.jackweigand.com/Dell.html

As to the "combat" reference, how many "terror" organisations use that word? Don't they want to be unobtrusive?

Posted by: gearjammer 2002-03-03 13:12:57 In reply to: John Pletz
So I'm wonderin how much free advertising the poor guy got by Dell red-flagging his order and then kickin up a stink about it. Kudos to Dell for having a system that watches for these things. Give it a rest, pal, you got your "15 minutes" and plenty of free air time, or was that the intent in the first place? You go, Dell!

Posted by: esrever_otua 2002-07-31 01:03:57 In reply to: gearjammer
Oh, for goodness' sake - America is the land of Guns, where the NRA campaigns ceaselessly for guns in every home. There are probably 1000's of shops all over America that have the words 'Combat' and/or 'Guns' in their names. Why exactly is it that Dell shouldn't sell them a laptop? Will it shoot the kids? Sheesh. Dell screwed up. End of story.

Posted by: Thumbs Up 2002-03-01 17:20:54 In reply to: John Pletz
Well, it sounds like Dell made a mistake by automatically cancelling the order instead of checking it out first. Mistakes happen. And it sounds like they made amends.

But hey, I applaud Dell for at least having a system in place to red-flag an order that comes in from a questionable source. I mean, c'mon, the guy's company is called "combat handguns". How much more of a red-flag do you need?

We're living in a violent world and *something* has to be done about it. In fact, a lot needs to be done about it. Good for you, Dell, for at least taking notice.

Jump to: