Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Salesforce Industries Summit
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Life After Free: Search Engines Seek Cold, Hard Cash

Re: Life After Free: Search Engines Seek Cold, Hard Cash
Posted by: Lou Hirsh 2002-02-11 15:18:23
See Full Story

To ensure long-term viability, search engine site operators need to offer a full, balanced
complement of pay-to-use features, paid placements and paid advertising, analysts said.
In addition, they must pull off this tricky balancing act while maintaining the trust of
Web visitors. "All the independent public portal sites are struggling to find a model that
will pay the bills," Giga Information Group analyst Steve Telleen told the E-Commerce
Times.

Posted by: webdoyenne 2002-02-12 15:04:48 In reply to: Lou Hirsh
Why is it that Web advertising is held to a higher standard than advertising in other media? When I'm watching TV or flipping through a magazine and encounter advertising, I don't immediately jump up, grab my car keys and race out the door to become an eager consumer. As a matter of fact, I tend to ignore advertising in all media unless the product being touted is something I'm in the market for anyhow. I think most of us are like this; it's a matter of self-preservation. If we were not capable of screening out the relentless bombardment of commercial messages, we would surely go crazy.

My job requires that I be on the Web all day long. In self-defense, I use an ad blocker, a popup killer and a cookie manager.

Posted by: pocrunner 2002-02-11 15:31:15 In reply to: Lou Hirsh
Lou:
Your article was pretty good. A few comments:

"relevancy" is a "bs" term for how do we charge more for search listings. The guys with the deepest pockets will be on the top....relevancy, shmelvancy. Pay enough and you are relevant.

I have been on Overture (GoTo) since the beginning. A few months ago Overture began to have editors review all submissions. The problem is that they want to handle everything by autoresponder. Editor one rejects the headline and copy. You change to meet the objections. Resubmit. Editor 2 has a totally different objection. Change, resubmit. I found the Editor 3 will accept the original copy without changes. Go figure. You never get a human person feedback. I was pending $400 a month on my listings and just gave it up.

3. Lastly, what no one wants to talk about is that clickthroughs are not sales. I make as many sales in a given period whether on or off Overture. And then there is the $0.40 key word price difference between listing #5 and listing #6. Makes no sense.

Anyway, my 2 cents worth.

Peter O'Connell
Rapid Drug Testing Services, Inc.
www.rapiddrug.com
peter@rapiddrug.com

Posted by: workinghard 2002-02-11 17:19:24 In reply to: pocrunner
Advertising in any form is difficult to measure. A clickthrough may not turn into an immediate sale, but it may provide enough information to lead to a sale in the future.
Jump to:
When considering a new smartwatch, which feature set is most important to you?
Alerts and Notifications
Calls and Messaging
Clock and Time Tracking
Contactless Payments and Banking
Design and Personalization
GPS and Maps
Health and Fitness
Music and Video