Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: The Password Is ... Confusion

Re: The Password Is ... Confusion
Posted by: Lou Hirsh 2002-01-14 12:39:35
See Full Story

Web users do not get loaded down with packages when they go from site to site, but they
do lug some baggage in the form of passwords. Commerce and content sites increasingly
ask visitors to log in with a password, taxing the memories of those who frequent
multiple sites. "One of the biggest hindrances to e-commerce is that people don't want
to fill in their passwords, addresses and other information over and over again,"
Aberdeen research director Kent Allen told the E-Commerce Times.

Re: The Password Is ... Confusion
Posted by: dtrotzer 2002-01-15 10:04:56 In reply to: Lou Hirsh
All the high-profile initiatives to develop universal authentication platforms by players such as AOL with its Magic Carpet initiative, Microsoft with its .Net My Services initiative and the Liberty Alliance initiative started by Sun, do face significant challenges in terms of establishing consumer trust in their technology solutions. However, they may face even greater challenges regarding business interoperability within online identity and authentication "federations." It's a delicate balance between giving consumers what they want, a simple and secure single sign-on solution, and establishing a system that accommodates business interoperability and competition issues.
Jump to:
I am most loyal to brands that...
Give the best value for my money
Have helpful and friendly staff
Operate an easy-to-use website
Provide fast, knowledgeable responses to questions
Support causes that I believe in