Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Salesforce Industries Summit
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Software Companies Take Aim at Pirates

Re: Software Companies Take Aim at Pirates
Posted by: Lori Enos 2001-12-12 11:47:15
See Full Story

The Interactive Digital Software Association (IDSA) announced Wednesday that 13 computer and video game companies have gone to court to shut down six Web sites that they say are selling pirated versions of their software.

Posted by: Mark 2001-12-12 11:52:24 In reply to: Lori Enos
I just wanted to say that while I think it's good they are finally getting more proactive in stopping piracy, it really bothers me when news agencies and sites like yours post the 'stated' dollar value they lose to piracy. These numbers are extremely inflated and do not represent the truth. They did not lose 50 billion dollars to piracy for the simple reason that a lot of the people who run pirated software would not have gone out and bought it even if the pirated version had been unavailable to them.

Yes, there are losses in regards to those who actually sell pirated copies, but most sites provide them for free and the people who download them aren't going to run out and buy it simply because the free version is no longer available. Some will, yes, but the actual dollar value of losses to the industry do not come close to the stated amounts. I don't think one deception warrants another.

Posted by: Fred Lindstron 2001-12-12 14:37:20 In reply to: Mark
Hi Mark,

I agree with some of what you said, but think that while the numbers may be inflated, it is not the degree to which you attest. That is, I believe that there is a substantial loss here.

The reality is that your assertion is merely your opinion, which leads me to ask if you are not the pot calling the kettle black.

The one thing that I am certain of is that people will pay for products that offer value, even if they were once free.

Jump to:
When considering a new smartwatch, which feature set is most important to you?
Alerts and Notifications
Calls and Messaging
Clock and Time Tracking
Contactless Payments and Banking
Design and Personalization
GPS and Maps
Health and Fitness
Music and Video