Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Women in Tech
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Report: Barriers Remain for E-Commerce in Eastern Europe

Re: Report: Barriers Remain for E-Commerce in Eastern Europe
Posted by: Nora Macaluso 2001-11-29 03:46:40
See Full Story

While Internet use in Central and Eastern Europe is growing fast, the required technology
remains too expensive for most consumers, posing "formidable barriers" to e-commerce,
according to a report released by the Yankee Group. Yankee associate consultant Graham
Finnie told the E-Commerce Times that few people have the money to buy computers, and
regulatory barriers are keeping telecommunications companies from upgrading their
services.

Re: Report: Barriers Remain for E-Commerce in Eastern Europe
Posted by: Robert Steigl 2001-12-03 07:45:56 In reply to: Nora Macaluso
I have some doubts regarding the conclusions in the article. It seems to me that personal opinions are presented instead of facts.
There are surely some true basic facts (expensive technology, regulatory barriers - BTW, is e-commerce really driven by home users?). But lack of trust in the internet is a common problem that is not specific for Eastern Europe. Courier services are at the same level as in the rest of the world. There can surely arise logistic difficulties in e-commerce projects. But there is again no difference to the rest of the world.
And the statement about large multinational companies is totally out of the box. There is e.g. a big increase of foreign investments, coming from these companies, in the Czech Republic. And this is surely not because of "limited opportunities".
However, e-commerce is surely not as developed as it is in the US, but I would really not describe it to be "embryonic".
Jump to:
Which in-person activity do you most want to resume when the pandemic is over?
Attend my place of worship
Frequent bars, clubs or restaurants
Gather with family or friends
Go to entertainment or sporting events
Join colleagues at work or business events
Participate in group athletics or exercise
Return to my school
Take my children to their school
Travel
Visit my health practitioners