Get the ECT News Network Weekly Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Ideoclick Amazon Compliance Guide
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: U.S. Justice Department Launches eBay Anti-Competition Probe

Re: U.S. Justice Department Launches eBay Anti-Competition Probe
Posted by: Chet Dembeck & Robert Conlin 2001-11-20 23:41:47
See Full Story

The U.S. Justice Department is reportedly investigating online auctioneer eBay, Inc. to determine whether its efforts to block price comparison search software from probing its Web site are anti-competitive.

Hi,
I suppose this is a side issue but perhaps it's a little important. I'm a cyber speculator and have received a letter from eBay stating it intends to pursue legal action against any company that uses the three letter "bay" in their name. I was wondering if anybody else out there has received threatening letters from the eBay legal department about this seeming takeover and alleged claim of total control and ownership of a very commonly used small 3-letter word in the English language. I would appreciate any supportive advice or perhaps possible group action to prevent eBay's claim of exclusive ownership of the "bay" letter combination. Who knows, we may all have to end up paying royalties to use this or perhaps other names. Just imagine this: most people only have a working vocabulary of around 10,000 words. If all these words became copyrighted company names by say 10,000 non-competitive companies like eBay, this would create a lawyer utopia. Everybody would sue everybody else and we'd all get rich, right? I think not. Common sense should prevail somewhere in the process.
Jump to:
When considering the credibility of an article I read online, I am most influenced by...
The organization or operator of the website that published the article
The journalist(s) who wrote the article
The sources quoted in the article
The quality or style of the writing
The individual(s) who brought the article to my attention
Whether the article has myriad shares or social media activity
My own knowledge or intuition