Get the ECT News Network Weekly Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: The Time Has Come for Free Online Shipping - Again

Re: The Time Has Come for Free Online Shipping - Again
Posted by: Keith Regan 2001-11-19 19:59:53
See Full Story

The holidays are a time for giving. True enough. But why should it be the only time
that e-tailers "give" shoppers free shipping? Smart online merchants use free shipping
to get those shoppers to buy and to do it early, easing the last-minute crunch.
And it works, by all accounts. So why does free shipping from online retailers
appear, right on cue, each November -- like fake Christmas trees in Wal-Mart -- instead of
sticking around all year?

Posted by: Maria LoVasco 2001-11-20 14:21:07 In reply to: Keith Regan
I recall ordering books through a catalog seller: Hamilton something or other.
And the shipping fee was a flat $3.95 regardless of the total cost of the order. It took a
while for the books to arrive, but I appreciated not feeling ripped off. Another thing that
peeves me is when I'll pay the same shipping and handling fee for a small pair of lightweight
earrings as I would for a larger, heavier package, because the figure is calculated
on the amount and not the weight. Something about that doesn't seem right.
And finally, I have ordered items from Barnes and Noble over Amazon strictly because
the shipping was free. And if I had to order two items to take advantage of it, I would go
ahead and add another book to it.

Posted by: Aussie Shopper 2001-11-19 22:37:03 In reply to: Keith Regan
If I can't easily and quickly locate the shipping charges before I put the goods in my basket then I don't stay at that site.
I'll buy from the site with free shipping first anytime, but if they don't happen to have the goods I want then my dollar goes to the site with the least expensive shipping fees.
Jump to: