Download the Heavy Reading White Paper » Building a New BSS Stack to Support Digital-First Offerings
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Why Is Wireless Caller ID So Often Wrong?

Re: Why Is Wireless Caller ID So Often Wrong?
Posted by: Jeff Kagan 2018-09-24 13:17:34
See Full Story

I have a gripe with the way Caller ID works -- or in fact, increasingly doesn't work -- on wireless phones. I've noticed that most very stinking time I get a call on my wireless phone, the Caller ID information is wrong. Sometimes the number is correct, but the city is wrong. When Caller ID was introduced a few decades ago, it was great. It started on the landline phone, either providing a name or number to give you a heads up as to who was calling. Fast-forward to the present. Today, when a call comes into our wireless phone, the information that appears on the screen is accurate only some of the time.

Re: Why Is Wireless Caller ID So Often Wrong?
Posted by: EC12 2018-10-07 21:26:48 In reply to: Jeff Kagan
> Do you agree, or am I getting upset over nothing?

You are right to complain, but we need to replace the obsolete SS7 network with pure IP networks first because inaccurate CID is not the only fault in legacy networks, you also have issues with SMS & location privacy and all sorts of other horrendous security flaws.
Jump to:
What is your opinion of technology's place in the world?
Technology could be used to solve most of the world's problems if properly applied.
Technology creates more problems than it solves.
Some technologies are inherently good, and some are inherently evil.
I accept technology's risks in order to enjoy its benefits.
I'd like to go back in time to an era when technology was far less prevalent.
I'd like to go forward in time to a more technologically advanced era.