Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Is Amazon a Robber Baron or a Robin Hood?

Re: Is Amazon a Robber Baron or a Robin Hood?
Posted by: Richard Adhikari 2014-10-23 12:29:53
See Full Story

Amazon's tactics in its ongoing battles with content publishers are fast becoming a bone of contention. The company has delayed distributing content from companies it's tussling with over content price points or its cut of the take. It's been steering customers to other publishers, at times overtly. Amazon's actions have split the authors' community and given rise to speculation that it might perhaps be getting too powerful for comfort. Economist Paul Krugman this week penned a column likening Amazon to the robber barons of old.

Re: Is Amazon a Robber Baron or a Robin Hood?
Posted by: MikeCoville 2014-10-23 12:42:08 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
Your post starts right off with a false statement that hurts your credibility throughout the rest of it.

"The company has delayed distributing content from companies..."

Amazon has not any such thing. Amazon is not responsible for the shipping speed of products that come from another source and can only guarantee speedy delivery for products they stock in their distribution centers. Hachette has chosen to not sign a contract with Amazon that would allow Amazon to maintain a sufficient stock level to help Hachette get their books to customers faster. It is Hachette that is responsible for any delay in distributing content to customers.

This fact also kills Rob Enderle's argument, and Paul Krugman's. There are plenty of competitors that are more than happy to sell Hachette's books at whatever price they want to charge.

You would do your readers a real service if you were to research information before publishing it as facts on your site.
Jump to:
Which type of online advertising is most likely to attract your favorable attention?
Straightforward display ads
Ads based on my interests
Informational articles on products/services
Video ads
Ads designed to grab my attention, e.g. pop-ups, autoplay
None -- I avoid all online ads