Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Microsoft Cranks Up Security to Lock Out Government Spies

Re: Microsoft Cranks Up Security to Lock Out Government Spies
Posted by: Kris Holt 2013-12-06 10:40:17
See Full Story

Microsoft is taking steps to make its customers' data more secure in the wake of revelations about government spying. The company was implicated in National Security Agency snooping operations after former NSA contractor Edward Snowden leaked documents related to the agency's activities earlier this year. Government spying on Microsoft's servers constitutes a persistent threat as serious as "sophisticated malware or cyberattacks," said Brad Smith, general counsel and executive vice president of legal and corporate affairs.

Re: Microsoft Cranks Up Security to Lock Out Government Spies
Posted by: josephmartins 2013-12-07 10:52:30 In reply to: Kris Holt
Vendor window dressing designed to make consumers warm and fuzzy.

At the end of the day the relationship is simple. When the government says jump these vendors will, without exception, ask how high. Should the information leak to the public hey may put up a token fight to at least give the appearance that they care, but much of it is done behind closed doors and never made public.

If you don't want information to be made available to Big Brother - at least not easily - you have one and only one choice: keep that information on paper, or if you must, on a computer not connected to your network. Once it's in a vendor's hands, any expectation of privacy is just plain silly.
Jump to:
When considering the credibility of an article I read online, I am most influenced by...
The organization or operator of the website that published the article
The journalist(s) who wrote the article
The sources quoted in the article
The quality or style of the writing
The individual(s) who brought the article to my attention
Whether the article has myriad shares or social media activity
My own knowledge or intuition