Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Web Isn't So World-Wide When it Comes to E-tail

Re: Web Isn't So World-Wide When it Comes to E-tail
Posted by: Keith Regan 2001-09-24 16:07:43
See Full Story

While there are supposed to be no boundaries dividing the World Wide Web into parts, the
reality is that business-to-consumer (B2C) e-commerce usually takes place within a single
country's borders, rather than from one corner of the world to the other.

Invisible barriers such as language, currency and taxation help keep the bulk of e-tail
activity from flowing across international borders, analysts and industry insiders say.
"There might be exceptions, but for the most part, U.S. buyers are shopping on sites here
in the States," Forrester Research analyst James Crawford told the E-Commerce Times.

Posted by: Prescott 2001-09-25 12:13:15 In reply to: Keith Regan
The article intends with an assertion about consumer complaints which raises more questions. Merchants aren't receiving complaints. What complaints are consumers lodging? Where?

Posted by: Miguel 2001-09-25 05:11:59 In reply to: Keith Regan
Although I see some truth in what the article says, I cannot say I totally agree.
I think there is mainly one reason for e-commerce to stay within the boundaries of the country of the consumer. It is as simple as "blind" navigation. That is, I know a brand, and I simply type www.BRANDNAME.com.
We all know the same worldwide brands (Nike, Coca-Cola, Amazon, etc.), PLUS brands we have already bought Off-line or seen in commercials. It is clear that this second option is, basically, geographical.
I do not know the name of a well reputed clothes firm in, let's say, Hong Kong, though it may be remarkably well known and respected in its local market...
Nevertheless, if I come across a good product, the website is OK, and I see that it is a serious company, nothing will undermine my will to have that item, or to shop at that website!!!
Quite Frankly, I could not care less where it comes from!!!
Jump to:
Which type of online advertising is most likely to attract your favorable attention?
Straightforward display ads
Ads based on my interests
Informational articles on products/services
Video ads
Ads designed to grab my attention, e.g. pop-ups, autoplay
None -- I avoid all online ads