Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Report: Apple to Relinquish Tablet Crown to Android

Re: Report: Apple to Relinquish Tablet Crown to Android
Posted by: Richard Adhikari 2013-03-12 16:07:32
See Full Story

Android tablets -- especially those with smaller screens -- will continue to gain market share this year at the expense of the iPad, which is expected to give up its spot as the No. 1 tablet platform, according to a report released Tuesday by research firm IDC.
The trend toward screens measuring 7-8 inches will drive worldwide tablet shipments to 191 million by year's end, up from the previously forecast figure of 172 million.
"iOS tablets have already lost ground to Android tablets," said Ryan Reith, a program manager at IDC.

The real story is buried at the end
Posted by: iSRS 2013-03-12 16:29:49 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
"Interpreting the Figures

IDC's figures include shipments sold both to distribution channels and to end users, meaning that there may be large numbers of unsold devices in stock. "We believe in the second half of 2012 a large number of white-label tablets were sold to retail channels that remain in inventory," Reith said. "These were cheap devices."

Apple "does not see this issue due to high demand," he added."

So any number of manufacturers can ship cheap (sub $100 in some instances) tablets running android, those tablets can sit, collecting dust, while "gaining marketshare" at Apple's expense, while Apple has a couple days worth of inventory on hand, selling nearly as fast as they make them, but this is seen as winning by analysts?

Honestly, technology analysts baffle me.
Jump to:
Which review rating influences you most when researching a business?
5 Stars - I want to know what others found amazing.
4 Stars - I want to find out why it's liked for the most part, but not without faults.
3 Stars - I want to understand why the business is neither loved nor hated.
2 Stars - I want to learn why the weaknesses outweigh the strengths.
1 Star - I want to know why anybody says they are completely dissatisfied with the business.