A Brand's Guide to Digital Shelf Analytics | Download the eBook Today!
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: What's Next for RIM?

Re: What's Next for RIM?
Posted by: Jeff Kagan 2012-05-17 10:35:19
See Full Story

RIM execs have invited me to dinner for an off-the-record discussion. I have asked a truckload of questions about them over the last few years here in this column and in media stories. Let me ask you: What are the big questions I should ask them now? What do you want to know about RIM? When it comes to RIM, the big question I want to start with is, how will it turn the ship around? Everyone is wondering whether it will recover. Will Research In Motion become a hot and growing company once again? Will BlackBerry become the smartphone on everyone's mind and clipped to everyone's belt once again?

Re: What's Next for RIM?
Posted by: Deightonn 2012-05-17 10:46:22 In reply to: Jeff Kagan
This seems a uniquely North American view of RIM and Blackberry. They played a star role in creating enterprise interest in mobile messaging and email and provided a pretty good solution. BUT it remained an executive toy for a long time and never really beat Nokia in either enterprise or consumer mindsets outside of the Americas.

RIM is on the edge and will eventually fall off, Nokia is now heading the same way. Qualcom is one of the few mobile related companies which managed to catch another wave when the original one they were riding broke. IMHO RIM is congenitally incapable of even understanding the first wave they rode and unlike Qualcom in its moment or peril is not even an interesting take over target.
Jump to:
When considering the credibility of an article I read online, I am most influenced by...
The organization or operator of the website that published the article
The journalist(s) who wrote the article
The sources quoted in the article
The quality or style of the writing
The individual(s) who brought the article to my attention
Whether the article has myriad shares or social media activity
My own knowledge or intuition