Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Online Travel: The Mountain Just Got Higher

Re: Online Travel: The Mountain Just Got Higher
Posted by: Paul A. Greenberg 2001-09-20 03:28:55
See Full Story

With the indomitable spirit that Americans typically display in times of crisis,
essential online industries have hung tough. Chief among them is the online travel
industry, a sector that is experiencing its greatest volume of work and level of chaos to
date -- and is admirably rising to the occasion.

Traffic to online travel sites has reflected not potential sales, but Americans aided.
Perhaps just as remarkable is that travel sites are doing this while their future looks
as precarious as it has ever been.

Posted by: Joe Hartnett 2001-09-20 17:17:25 In reply to: Paul A. Greenberg
Travel is one of the great and true freedoms enjoyed by peoples of the world.

As Margaret Thatcher said in 1993, travel is not only the world's #1 industry, but it is also the world's great hope to bring lasting peace, as cultures get together and learn more about each other through travel.

I firmly believe that the travel industry must compete, at a time and place that is appropriate(which I would suggest will come sooner rather than later). And the industry also has a right encourage travel by Americans and our allies around the world.

The terrorists are hoping for empty aircraft flying to countries with vacant resorts and abandoned marketplaces. But let's remember that the terrorists' diabolical advantage of secrecy and and stealth also requires they exist in small, non-unified "cells" - a disadvantage in numbers, scope and scale. Leisure travel to many regions of the world might be about as safe as it always has been.

All brave travelers of this world have both a need and a right to assert our freedom to travel. We can begin by booking trips to those countries who have joined the worldwide coalition and as a result have promised to track down and bring terrorists to justice.

Franklin Roosevelt said this during and about the Great Depression (another worldwide cataclysm), but it is worthwile quoting today, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

Posted by: Joe Buhler 2001-09-20 17:02:29 In reply to: Paul A. Greenberg
Very well put - couldn't agree more! Let's hope this indomitable spirit will prevent large numbers of travelers from cancelling their future trips as this would only play into the hands of terrorists.
It's also a period when there likely will be some weeding out in the online travel space as only those sites backed by live person customer support in call centers are likely to earn the customer's trust and hopefully future business.
We will have to compete with the best of what the bricks world has to offer to succeed in the long term and make this already large and profitable ecommerce vertical continue to grow at a rapid pace.
If handling, in the short term, more unproductive traffic is what it takes to achieve this goal it will have been worthwile.
Jump to:
Which type of online advertising is most likely to attract your favorable attention?
Straightforward display ads
Ads based on my interests
Informational articles on products/services
Video ads
Ads designed to grab my attention, e.g. pop-ups, autoplay
None -- I avoid all online ads