Get the ECT News Network Editor's Pick Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Best Buy Puts Plan B Into Action

Re: Best Buy Puts Plan B Into Action
Posted by: Erika Morphy 2012-05-05 20:58:33
See Full Story

Best Buy is taking an ax to its big box retail business model. The company plans to close 50 of its larger stores and test new store formats in San Antonio and Minneapolis. The formats will be so-called "connected stores" that will emphasize tech support and wireless products. They will feature checkout lanes designed to speed shoppers through the buying process, as well as hubs to better assist them. The company also plans to lay off 400 employees including corporate workers. At the same time, it will invest in more worker training and restructure its sales incentive program.

Re: Best Buy Puts Plan B Into Action
Posted by: akcoyote 2012-05-05 21:24:24 In reply to: Erika Morphy
I am a technical consultant to small and mid size companies focused on helping them determine which technologies are critical or helpful or money pits. If it won't fit in your budget and provide a positive ROI, it is a bad option.

Most of my clients have a limited budget and wind up shopping local or on-line for their tech products.

I keep abreast of Amazon (fantastic selection & good customer support), Costco (limited selection, but best warranty / return policy), Newegg (good selection, poor return policies and customer service, formerly 5 star, is on a bad downhill slide as they lose market focus. I also follow a selection of local shops for both hardware and service.

Best Buy has been off my list for over 2 years.

Why?

They rarely have 'best' pricing and often substitute a downgraded product under the same manufacturer's model name / number. Customer expects same product he read reviews of or had recommended only to find the one he bought has less memory, smaller hard drive, etc. Bait and switch in my book.

Their staff used to be well trained and competent enough admit when they were stumped or unsure. This was usually resolved by them bringing in another staff member who could answer the query.

Today's staff rarely knows how to spell computer, much less know enough to be a competent sales resource. I don't believe it is their fault (in most cases), but simply suffer from a complete lack of training and evaluation.

Geek Squad was a reliable source of tech support prior to being bought by Best Buy. I actively tell people to avoid them. The good techs seem to have disappeared and the new ones may have a certification or two, but no experience and only rarely common sense.

Management seems to have made every bad move in the book in trying to boost stock prices. They may be too far gone to recover in today's market.
Jump to:
When considering the credibility of an article I read online, I am most influenced by...
The organization or operator of the website that published the article
The journalist(s) who wrote the article
The sources quoted in the article
The quality or style of the writing
The individual(s) who brought the article to my attention
Whether the article has myriad shares or social media activity
My own knowledge or intuition