A Brand's Guide to Digital Shelf Analytics | Download the eBook Today!
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Match the Big Data Job to the Big Data Solution

Re: Match the Big Data Job to the Big Data Solution
Posted by: Brian Gentile 2012-04-27 11:11:35
See Full Story

In the rush to play in the Big Data game, it's easy to forget the fundamentals. The fear of being left behind can cause enterprise IT teams to move directly into pilot projects with a choice of products and technologies that may not be best designed to solve the identified business problem. For example, because Hadoop has become such a popular tech buzzword, many organizations are racing to implement this Big Data platform before properly understanding their goal. A mismatch can often result.

Re: Match the Big Data Job to the Big Data Solution
Posted by: douglaney 2012-05-05 05:19:41 In reply to: Brian Gentile
Another great piece Brian!

Cool to see the industry finally adopting the "3V"s of big data over 11 years after Gartner first published them. For future reference, and a copy of the original article I wrote in 2001, see: http://blogs.gartner.com/doug-laney/deja-vvvue-others-claiming-gartners-volume-velocity-variety-construct-for-big-data/.

Also note that Gartner has produced over 400 research and advisory pieces concerning Big Data technology, techniques, roles, business uses, etc.

--Doug Laney, VP Research, Gartner, @doug_laney
Jump to:
Would you license your personal data to advertising platforms if you were paid directly for it?
Yes -- So much of my personal data is already in the hands of advertisers anyhow; I may as well be paid for it.
Possibly -- It depends how much I would be compensated and how the data I authorize to share would be used and protected.
No -- I would not sell my personal data at any price.