Get the ECT News Network Weekly Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Anonymous Strikes Most Fear in the Hearts of IT Security Managers

Re: Anonymous Strikes Most Fear in the Hearts of IT Security Managers
Posted by: Erika Morphy 2012-04-24 15:13:56
See Full Story

The hacker group Anonymous and other so-called hacktivists are the biggest concern for IT security professionals, according to a survey by Bit9. Its 2012 Cyber Security Survey queried nearly 2,000 IT security experts to gauge the current state of enterprise security and otherwise identify what keeps IT executives up at night. In general, 64 percent of respondents believe their organization will be the target of a cyberattack in the next six months -- and of that amount, 61 percent believe that attack will likely to be perpetrated by hacktivists.

Re: Anonymous Strikes Most Fear in the Hearts of IT Security Managers
Posted by: cryptodd 2012-04-25 20:46:46 In reply to: Erika Morphy
the Bit9 survey shines a bright light on the PR impact of data breaches, otherwise known as the “egg on your face” impact. While Anonymous attacks may be less threatening from an intellectual property theft perspective than attacks by nation-states or cyber criminals, the fact that these APTs are perpetrated in public not in secret, make them potentially more damaging to a corporate brand. This preoccupation among security pros with targeted attacks by Anonymous, or others, largely supports Jon Oltsik’s recent finding that 54% of organizations have deployed data encryption technologies in response to APTs.
Jump to:
When considering the credibility of an article I read online, I am most influenced by...
The organization or operator of the website that published the article
The journalist(s) who wrote the article
The sources quoted in the article
The quality or style of the writing
The individual(s) who brought the article to my attention
Whether the article has myriad shares or social media activity
My own knowledge or intuition