A Brand's Guide to Digital Shelf Analytics | Download the eBook Today!
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: In Yahoo Fight, Facebook Not One to Turn the Other Cheek

Re: In Yahoo Fight, Facebook Not One to Turn the Other Cheek
Posted by: Rachelle Dragani 2012-04-06 12:58:57
See Full Story

Facebook accused Yahoo of violating 10 of its patents Tuesday, a response to a similar suit Yahoo filed just under a month ago. The two Internet competitors are embroiled in a patent duel that started last month, when Yahoo sued Facebook for 10 counts of patent infringement. The litigation came at a particularly delicate time for Facebook -- its IPO is expected in a matter of weeks. Yahoo critics called the action an opportunistic bid to pressure Facebook into a fast settlement.

Re: In Yahoo Fight, Facebook Not One to Turn the Other Cheek
Posted by: megankrow 2012-04-19 15:01:12 In reply to: Rachelle Dragani
Recently Yahoo fired its CEO, Carol Bartz. Although the company’s stock price jumped 6% immediately following the announcement, the problems plaguing Yahoo go beyond the choice of chief executive. The biggest challenge facing Yahoo goes to the core of what the company is and what it wants to be: Yahoo has become irrelevant to their users.

Yahoo was once one of the biggest success stories on the Web. It was the earliest and most successful “web portals,” offering visitors a broad assortment of news and information on everything from personal finance to movie listings to stock quotes to job listings to sports. Millions of people used Yahoo e-mail addresses. Yahoo was once mentioned in the same breath as Google, Amazon and AOL as one of the top online companies.

The problem for Yahoo is that the days of “web portals” are over. People don’t need a single site to click through multiple menus and sub-menus to find the information they’re looking for: now we have search engines like Google that deliver more precise results. Let's face it, Yahoo no longer gives web users a compelling reason to visit the site multiple times a day.

Although Yahoo is still a popular site in terms of the total number of people who visit it, Yahoo’s share of users is declining – and its revenues from display advertising are going downhill as well.

the point is that it doesnt matter what yahoo says because they are on the way out

Turn the Other Cheek?
Posted by: John238 2012-04-07 10:51:35 In reply to: Rachelle Dragani
Interesting article but "turn the other cheek" is incorrectly used. In general it means to get in the face of oppressive religious leaders and stand up for the things taught by Jesus even if it means being cast out of the community (or worse).
Jump to:
Would you license your personal data to advertising platforms if you were paid directly for it?
Yes -- So much of my personal data is already in the hands of advertisers anyhow; I may as well be paid for it.
Possibly -- It depends how much I would be compensated and how the data I authorize to share would be used and protected.
No -- I would not sell my personal data at any price.