Get the ECT News Network Weekly Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: AT&T Let Scammers Overrun Calling Service, Feds Charge

Re: AT&T Let Scammers Overrun Calling Service, Feds Charge
Posted by: Peter Suciu 2012-03-26 08:04:31
See Full Story

The Department of Justice has filed a lawsuit against telecommunications giant AT&T, claiming that the carrier allowed scammers to use a calling service for the hearing-impaired and then stuck U.S. taxpayers with the bill. While many Internet scams have originated from Nigeria, this case reportedly involves scammers using a free Internet-based calling system for hearing-impaired users. The system lets users type a message on their computers, which an employee of the phone company then relays by voice. The United States government reimburses the service providers at $1.30 per minute.

Posted by: megankrow 2012-04-16 13:42:23 In reply to: Peter Suciu
AT&T has become a real trashy company
they have gotten to be to big to care too much
they are real garbage

Posted by: masterjace 2012-04-08 10:35:23 In reply to: Peter Suciu
The old saying goes the screw you got for the screwing that you gave. I cleaned it up so as not to offend too many people. AT&T has gotten to big and has the feeling that it can get away with what ever it chooses too. Ignorance of the law or selective enforcement is not going to work; I stopped using AT&T as an ISP when it came out that they were letting the Bush Admin read everyone’s E-mails. I know all the ISP are doing it, but AT&T was one of the first to let the Bush GOV tap in, they even let them build a room in there switching and server center just for them. No, I do not have anything to hide; I just do not think that anyone needs to have his or her nose in anyone else business at all! You can call it what you want but it is still just snooping. How is reading the E-mail of an 89-year-old farmer in BFE Kansas a matter of National Security, when he is talking about the weather with his 9-year-old Grandson that lives in Florida? Nigeria is not the only country to use this network I know that China uses it too; I have had dealings with them too. I have had several replies to online ads and have traced them to China, Nigeria, Japan, Hattie other Countries that scammers are able to hide in and pull credit card frauds. If the Government would also go after the scammers and the companies that make it easy for them to pull the frauds, and the others that, support them like the processing centers that process the payments, the credit card companies that also issue the cards. I am sure AT&T will pass the fines on to its customs in the end that is if it is found guilty. In cases like this I would like to see companies prevented from doing business with the Government for say 25 years as a punishment along with the fine, no cell service, no long distance, no local phone service nothing at all. See if that does not make them want to run an honest business from now on.
Jump to:
When considering the credibility of an article I read online, I am most influenced by...
The organization or operator of the website that published the article
The journalist(s) who wrote the article
The sources quoted in the article
The quality or style of the writing
The individual(s) who brought the article to my attention
Whether the article has myriad shares or social media activity
My own knowledge or intuition