Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Salesforce Industries Summit
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Backlash Against Amazon Price Check Builds Steam

Re: Backlash Against Amazon Price Check Builds Steam
Posted by: Erika Morphy 2011-12-10 09:45:15
See Full Story

A backlash is growing against an app designed to help consumers scope out products at local stores, compare them to similar goods on Amazon -- and then leave the stores empty-handed to make their actual purchases online. Critics of the app, called "Amazon Price Check," include brick-and-mortar retailers and Maine Sen. Olympia Snowe. Of course, Amazon has always competed on prices, and consumers are becoming adept at using their smartphones to comparison shop for the best deal.

price checking
Posted by: mjbrin 2011-12-12 04:38:00 In reply to: Erika Morphy
don't see a problem that brick and mortar stores can't work with
since it has become a global economy this was bound to happen. The stores don't own the prices only the products so i don't see how this is different then when i use to go to the West Side Market in Cleveland walk up and down to check prices then when cell phones became available would do it with a family member.....now it is the Internet and cell phones.....it is just the capitalist market evolving.....it is hard to adapt and i have seen many stores just that

Amazon app
Posted by: xcergy 2011-12-11 22:59:23 In reply to: Erika Morphy
Easy solution for Ms. Snow
a) ban the Internet
b) remove Smartphone batteries
c) close down Walmart/Target
d) lobby Congress for Fed. Mandated Price Fixing

Fry's Electronics preempted this....
Posted by: akcoyote 2011-12-11 15:15:17 In reply to: Erika Morphy
Fry's Electronics got ahead of this game with a 'We'll match any price' policy.

Check their website (frys.com) to verify they have the product you are looking for. (Saves gas.)

Find the best price you can and go to the store to pick up your product. They will verify that the price match exists and sell you the same product for that price.

Of course you can use your smartphone to do your price check right in the store if that's more convenient.

Net result is that you pay the same price plus any sales tax, minus any shipping costs, have 'instant delivery' and make any returns / exchanges directly to the store (again with no delay and no shipping costs).

Fry's has recaptured a lot of my business from both Newegg and Amazon with this tactic.

'Bricks and mortar' can compete it seems. Without legislation!

normal for middle class
Posted by: lanyapgal 2011-12-11 12:33:22 In reply to: Erika Morphy
Good to know I can use a phone app to comparison shop while I am actually in a store. I usually do all my comparison shopping before I ever leave the house. Especially with these economic times. I am just sorry they drove to a store without checking online or CALLING them so wasted the gas. Free enterprise works. There is nothing illegal about it. Everyone is mad because they came up with a good marketing plan??? Wow get a grip. Most of us are so broke these days from unemployment and being screwed by the gov't that saving money anyway you can is second nature now. The Maine congress person makes enough money that she doesn't need to comparison shop for anything. Retailers need to step up and maybe offer a price match to the folks standing in their store who can show them the lower price on their phone as proof. Just saying......

Boycott Amazon, Sell Your Stock, No New Laws Please!
Posted by: louprado 2011-12-10 12:37:54 In reply to: Erika Morphy
When a company incentivizes customers to act unethically then just boycott, (at least temporarily) that company and if you are a shareholder sell some of your shares. Personally I think Amazon has gone too far! Before you shout to some bureaucrat "There aught to be a law", shout to the company instead and change your behavior. Join me in boycotting Amazon for 90 days or until this incentive is removed. The free market comes with responsibility, just because it is legal doesn't mean it is right.

Ahh . . .
Posted by: farmerbob 2011-12-10 11:44:47 In reply to: Erika Morphy
. . . those silly Republican'ts.

There oughta be a law
Posted by: Darr247 2011-12-10 11:02:09 In reply to: Erika Morphy
the same way congress protected the music, film and software companies... there should be a Digital Millennium Pricing Act. If a store catches someone on their premises just price shopping, they should be able to sue them for $100,000 per infringement.
Jump to:
When considering a new smartwatch, which feature set is most important to you?
Alerts and Notifications
Calls and Messaging
Clock and Time Tracking
Contactless Payments and Banking
Design and Personalization
GPS and Maps
Health and Fitness
Music and Video