Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Truculent Tweet Nukes PR Firm's Rep

Re: Truculent Tweet Nukes PR Firm's Rep
Posted by: Erika Morphy 2011-06-19 08:45:32
See Full Story

This week, 2K Games and Gearbox Software debuted "Duke Nukem Forever" for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC. For the game's developers, it was a momentous occasion. Fans had been waiting 15 years in video game purgatory, they said, for the launch of the mythical Duke Nukem game. For some game reviewers though, the release was more of a dud than the alien ass-kicking event it was portrayed to be, with a dated design and poor controls. In response to the negativity, Jim Redner, founder of the PR firm representing 2K, sent a tweet that was heard 'round the gaming world.

"Pay for Play" and blackballing editors
Posted by: opjack271odwyerpr 2011-06-20 10:19:30 In reply to: Erika Morphy
Hello Erika:
Thanks for letting me comment on your story about "Truculent Tweet Nukes PR Firm's Rep."
In it you quote Arthur Yann, VP-PR of PR Society of America, as saying that the issue is "requiring favorable reviews as a 'payment' for early access to a new game or service..."
This is not the issue at all. It is "blacklisting" of reporters as described by PRSA advocacy manager Keith Trivitt on June 17 in a posting on the PRSA website. PRSA is totally opposed to "blacklisting," said Trivitt.

Yann is apparently trying to "reposition" this as a "pay-for-play" issue when it's "blacklisting" because the Society has "blacklisted" me repeatedly and as far back as 1999 (formal vote of the board of directors). The 2000 board rescinded that unethical act.
The two top people at PRSA, president Bill Murray and chair Gary McCormick, came to my office March 19 to say PRSA has "chosen" not to deal with me.
Yann has reiterated this "blacklisting" on numerous occasions.
No charges against me are ever put in writing because there are none. I cover PRSA very closely and criticize it when needed. It is currently in violation of so many democratic principles that a "Committee for a Democratic PRSA" garnered 450 signatures on a petition last year. Principal heads of the Committee included Richard Edelman, head of the world's biggest PR firms. Numerous chapter presidents signed the petition.
What the leaders are trying to do is impossible--refusing to deal with the facts.
Thank you,
Jack O'Dwyer
Jump to:
Which review rating influences you most when researching a business?
5 Stars - I want to know what others found amazing.
4 Stars - I want to find out why it's liked for the most part, but not without faults.
3 Stars - I want to understand why the business is neither loved nor hated.
2 Stars - I want to learn why the weaknesses outweigh the strengths.
1 Star - I want to know why anybody says they are completely dissatisfied with the business.