Instantly delete email threats for Office 365 » Free Offer
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Are E-tailers Too Dependent on Santa?

Re: Are E-tailers Too Dependent on Santa?
Posted by: Paul A. Greenberg 2001-09-14 16:41:29
See Full Story

In a normal time, in a normal place, with summer nearly ending, e-tailers would be bracing
themselves for the annual nail-biting and teeth-grinding weeks that precede the holiday
gift-buying season.

E-tailers have annually counted on the holidays to be their most profitable season. That
the word "holiday" itself is now charged with a whole new meaning, given the horror that
so many families are now facing, is something e-tailers will now have to face.

Posted by: Cartel 2001-09-16 00:02:49 In reply to: Paul A. Greenberg
I hope this post dosen't offend anyone as that is not my intention. But i've been doing some thinking and the events of Sept 11th are directly related to it.

If/when we do retailiate for the devasting attack on our soil, even the government acknowledges that there will be increased attempts at terrorist attacks on U.S. In the light of recent events it is safe to say that we will not be successful in thwarting ALL of the attempts. As the attacks increase on our soil, people will be wary about anywhere in large groups that might make them easy targets for terrorist attacks. Does anyone think that this might spur a resurgence in the dot com economy as people start to prefer making purchases online rather than venturing from the precieved safety of their communities? I know this may seem far fetched, but the day after the attack, Manhattan, one of the busiest places in the world, was virtually deviod of people on the street. If 1 or 2 other attacks were to take place within a short time span of say 2 -4 weeks, how many people do you think would keep trying to go about business as usual? I'm interested in hearing your opinions...

Posted by: Jim 2001-09-17 10:31:06 In reply to: Cartel
I think that the recent acts of terrorism will make people think twice about going to malls,
especially during X-mas. The net is a much safer way to shop and I am sure it will be
marketed as such.

Posted by: Alan J. Zell 2001-09-14 16:52:50 In reply to: Paul A. Greenberg
Every business has its Xmas . . . for many it is not during December and all businesses have to rely on it to make their year. All businesses face the phenomenon of the 80/20 Rules, one of which says that 80% of one's business is done in 20% of the time they are open for business (year, month, week, day).

There are many other aspects of the 80/20 Rule:

* 80% of the readers of the read only 20% of the articles listed on newsfactor.com -- or, for businesses selling products it is that 80% of the business is done on 20% of the firm's selection.

* 80% of the articles come from 20% of the resources available

There are many ways to apply the 80/20 Rule. But to say that retailers, either off line or on line should not depend on the Xmas business for making their year when does the writer expect these retaiers to get the sales they need to stay open?

Alan

Alan J. Zell, Ambassador Of Selling
azell@aol.com
A member of www.salesbureau.com cadre of speakers, coaches, and trainers.

Winner of the Murray Award for Outstanding Achievement in Sales & Marketing

Chairman, PNW Sales & Marketing Group

Jump to:
How important is social media to the success of your business?
Highly -- Social media is essential to our business model.
Somewhat -- We do see benefit from social media, but without it our operations would continue.
Minimally -- We're on social media because that's expected, though it's influence on our success is negligible.
Not at All -- Social media is not useful to our business.