Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: eBay Bans All World Trade Center, Pentagon Items

Re: eBay Bans All World Trade Center, Pentagon Items
Posted by: Keith Regan 2001-09-12 17:19:17
See Full Story

Internet auction leader eBay said late Tuesday it had temporarily halted trading in all
items related to the World Trade Center or the Pentagon, the scenes of devastating
terrorist attacks earlier in the day.

The ban on items relating to the attacked locations is an extra measure that San Jose,
California-based eBay said it was taking "out of respect for the victims,
their family members and the survivors."

Posted by: Anne 2001-09-25 08:18:32 In reply to: Keith Regan
eBay's lack of business ethics stoops lower with each passing day. First they publicized they were suspending the sale of WTC items until after October 1st...then they allowed their "Auctions for America" to sell them and they posted a notice on their Announcement Board that anyone NOT participating in AFA couldn't sell any WTC items until after December 31st.

Well, being a NY'er I reported auctions not in the AFA Program that were selling WTC items as recent as yesterday, and was sent this reply from eBay:

"Our policy has just been ammended again, and we are now allowing postcards and posters which show the New York Skyline and World Trade Center towers, as long as they are prior to the disaster."

Once again eBay displayed their love for the almighty dollar far surpasses all that is right.

Posted by: Anne 2001-09-20 00:31:01 In reply to: Keith Regan
eBay now PERMITS the sale of all "memorabilia" from this tragedy as long as the items are listed under their "Auctions for America" Listings. No doubt this policy change was put into effect only to raise the number of participants in their program.

Suddenly, all sympathy for the victims and their families has disappeared in ebay's eyes...which are now clouded with the color of green. $$$$$$$

As a New Yorker I find it VERY insulting that they are gaining national recognition as doing something caring, even patriotic. When in essence all they're doing is padding their numbers for their stockholders.

Posted by: vikki holland 2001-09-14 10:16:48 In reply to: Keith Regan
I totally agree with this ban. I think it should be permanent because I don't believe anyone should capitalize on the loss of others.the sale of any items representing this catastrophe would be a disgrace those who lost their lives here.I live in Alabama but I still grieve for those who were lost and their families.I am stunned by it all.
Jump to:
Which type of online advertising is most likely to attract your favorable attention?
Straightforward display ads
Ads based on my interests
Informational articles on products/services
Video ads
Ads designed to grab my attention, e.g. pop-ups, autoplay
None -- I avoid all online ads