Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: White House Asks for $1B Boost in Federal IT Budget

Re: White House Asks for $1B Boost in Federal IT Budget
Posted by: John K. Higgins 2011-03-01 07:35:44
See Full Story

Despite the national effort to cut government spending, expenditures for information technology at the federal level will actually go up in fiscal 2012 compared with 2011. That's good news for vendors. Federal agencies will spend about $79.5 billion on information technology in fiscal 2012, which begins Oct. 1, according to the Obama administration's proposed budget. The funding level for 2011 is still a bit in flux because of Congressional moves to reduce spending, but the amount allowed by the Congressional continuing resolution when the proposed budget was released Feb. 14 is estimated at $78.5 billion. Spending for IT in 2010 was $77.9 billion.

Concerns
Posted by: Brad Fallon 2011-03-02 04:57:25 In reply to: John K. Higgins
Just hoping these budgets cuts are well defined because these are our taxes that are involved.

Are you listening, Mr. Kundra?
Posted by: RIMMAN 2011-03-01 07:52:31 In reply to: John K. Higgins
Hopefully, Kundra will listen hard to this comment from Strasser about the deployment of the ubiquitous cloud:

"The plan is somewhat realistic, but the savings will not be as great as some portend. As with most new technology initiatives, the barriers to entry offset the forecasted savings."

Until the project it carefully scoped and deployment is well defined, the potential for savings is extremely limited in the short term, and even in the long term. If there isn't an effective plan for periodic migration to ensure persistent accessibility to content, there will be no financial savings and the potential will be high for catastrophic data loss.

Further, this comment from Karen Evans rings especially true:

"You also have to address records management issues, security issues, data integrity and data recovery. If this is not done properly, it could end up costing more versus reducing costs"

When Evans was the CIO for Department of Energy, she was the first person at that level to TRULY "get it" when it came to managing records as information assets. She was engaged in the nature of RIM (records and information management) as a valuable practice and the need for supporting the structure required to see it succeed. I can't begin to tell you how sad it was to see her leave.

With many in the IT realm in the Federal Government coming from the private sector and few (if any) having ANY exposure to RIM in the private sector and NONE in the public sector, the management of information as an asset is at risk. No attention is being paid to the need to maintain some of this information for extended periods of time, up to 'permanently' and ensure it is protected from loss and more importantly, remains persistently accessible for use and re-use throughout its required retention period.
Jump to:
Which review rating influences you most when researching a business?
5 Stars - I want to know what others found amazing.
4 Stars - I want to find out why it's liked for the most part, but not without faults.
3 Stars - I want to understand why the business is neither loved nor hated.
2 Stars - I want to learn why the weaknesses outweigh the strengths.
1 Star - I want to know why anybody says they are completely dissatisfied with the business.