Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Open Source Finds a Friend in Big Government

Re: Open Source Finds a Friend in Big Government
Posted by: John K. Higgins 2011-02-15 08:40:43
See Full Story

Major federal agencies in the U.S. are gradually getting the hang of dealing with open source technology -- a situation that bodes well for commercial open source providers. In a recently released "report card," Open Source for America says that a handful of top level cabinet departments have achieved a high level of success in adopting the technology, and that other departments have at least committed themselves to pursuing appropriate open source options. "The results show a solid commitment to transparency and public feedback, as well as recognition and growing use of open technologies within the federal government," notes OSFA.

WOW!
Posted by: kwacka 2011-02-15 08:53:28 In reply to: John K. Higgins
Just think how much all those departments spent on training users to click on Firefox instead of IE, or OpenOffice instead of MS Office.

We all know (how we know I'm not sure) that teaching users to transfer to using open-source software is the major expense when moving away from proprietary.
Jump to:
Given the spread of the Covid-19 Delta variant, if my employer requires me to return to the company's location in 2021, I will...
Agree because I'm fully vaccinated.
Agree if the company institutes a mandatory mask requirement and other safety protocols.
Comply reluctantly, because I can't afford to lose my job, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job I feel is safer.
Resign because I'm not vaccinated and don't want to risk infection to myself or others.