Get the ECT News Network Weekly Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: White House: Private Sector Must Lead Internet Security Fight

Re: White House: Private Sector Must Lead Internet Security Fight
Posted by: John K. Higgins 2011-01-19 10:40:16
See Full Story

The world of e-commerce is booming -- but on a parallel track, identity theft, loss of privacy and fraud are skyrocketing as well. While the government has a role in combating Internet security abuses, two top administration officials visited Silicon Valley to emphasize that the private sector needs to lead the way in developing innovative IT security solutions. At a cybersecurity forum earlier this month, U.S. Commerce Department Secretary Gary Locke announced the creation of a national program office to focus on improving the security of sensitive online transactions.

Thanks for a solid article on Internet Security
Posted by: DerekBeckwith 2011-01-19 10:57:45 In reply to: John K. Higgins
Thanks for publishing this article. It is important to add another element to the discussion -- workable, and effective regulations to protect people put at risk due to breaches. The current patchwork of laws and regulations relating to data breaches is ineffective, and the proposals on the horizon in terms of federal laws are weak at best and toothless at their worst.

Breaches are vastly under-reported. In the health care industry alone, Identity Force's survey of hospital executives last Spring revealed that over 40% of hospitals experience 10 or more data breaches yearly -- a copy of the report can be found at www.identityforce.com/Press.php

Again, thanks for your article.
Jump to:
I am most loyal to brands that...
Give the best value for my money
Have helpful and friendly staff
Operate an easy-to-use website
Provide fast, knowledgeable responses to questions
Support causes that I believe in